Old 24-04-2006, 01:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ron Hardin

Default fairy rings

I had not only fairy rings, but in 2000, for no reason I can see,
mushrooms upon mushrooms growing in the yard, all different kinds.

I harvested gallon jug after gallon jug of them, keeping the yard
puppy-safe for a puppy-who-eats-everything.

Neither before nor afterwards has that happened. The yard has been
undisturbed since 1973. Maybe it's a 27 year mushroom genre.

It was a cornfield before that.

The fairy rings sort of expand and die out. They produce interesting
episodes when you cut your lawn, as a hobby, with a scythe, as the
taller greener grass they create fall over in a very satisfying way
when you get to one of them.

I suppose you could suppress the rings by adding lots of nitrogen
to the lawn, so it's green all over.

--
Ron Hardin