Old 24-04-2006, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Default fairy rings

Ron Hardin wrote:

I had not only fairy rings, but in 2000, for no reason I can see,
mushrooms upon mushrooms growing in the yard, all different kinds.

I harvested gallon jug after gallon jug of them, keeping the yard
puppy-safe for a puppy-who-eats-everything.

Neither before nor afterwards has that happened. The yard has been
undisturbed since 1973. Maybe it's a 27 year mushroom genre.

It was a cornfield before that.

The fairy rings sort of expand and die out. They produce interesting
episodes when you cut your lawn, as a hobby, with a scythe, as the
taller greener grass they create fall over in a very satisfying way
when you get to one of them.

I suppose you could suppress the rings by adding lots of nitrogen
to the lawn, so it's green all over.

Yes, mine produce mushrooms in an arc at the perimeter of the ring. With
suppressed growth in the middle area. And you're right, I have also read
about boosting the nitrogen in the center along with aeration.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)