Old 24-04-2006, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob

Default 2006 NYC Orchid Show

Buy local!

Had a lady come back to me almost in tears on Saturday, about 30 minutes
after she purchased a very nice phal. She had snapped the spike
(dropped the plant somehow), and wanted to know if I could 'fix it'.
Grafting, maybe? Anyway, I replaced the plant with the next nicest phal.

I also think most people are honest. And I prefer to not to think
otherwise. I've replaced plants up to a year after selling them, if I
thought it was my fault that they didn't thrive. Especially for novice
growers. If the story is "I bought a plant from you at this show last
year, but it died a couple weeks later", I've been known to give an
inexpensive replacement to practice on. I suspect most people don't
report problems, but I'd really prefer that they did.

I am afraid you are too late. Orchis Floriculturing is a China- based
company-- they are back in China by now. I agree with Kenni's comments
100%. I just had a person bring back a plant she got less than a month
ago-- The entire plant was white!! That can only happen by putting it
in a car, in the sun and leaving it for enough time for the sun to heat
the inside of the car to 120 degrees. The person swore she didn't but
plants don't turn white {I mean every part of the plant}. I gave her
another because that's what we do-- call me stupid but that's our
policy. It doesn't happen often enough to worry about as most people
are honest. Sorry I can't say the same for vendors-- well most are
honest but like Kenni said some are garbage vendors & will deliberately
bring stuff to "get rid of" & the societies just keep inviting them
back-- because they also undercut the decent vendors price wise. I have
learned to be very careful to ask about "return policy" & people from
another country better have a sterling reputation or-- I pass them by.
The lessons we learn the "hard way" are the ones we don't forget
easily. Good Luck Bill

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1