Old 25-04-2006, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default Green beans: cheapo support options using twine

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a newbie planning to plant out some green beans, which I have
already started off in the kitchen (current height is 12 to 18 inches).
Planting out this weekend in Yorks if there is no frost.

Question: I will plant the beans up against wooden fence panels. Will a
few lengths of twine strung laterally across the fence panels be OK for
support? The site is pretty well sheltered from the wind.

Thanks,
Bruce

I am not a veggie expert but on the odd occasion that I grow runner beans
(are those same as green beans?) I grow them on canes and strings
vertically. Runners do not like running laterally.
I would not think about planting runners at the moment but then again your
Yorkshire climate may be different to mine.
I am certain others will give you more authoritative information