Old 25-04-2006, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Green beans: cheapo support options using twine

I am a newbie planning to plant out some green beans, which I have
already started off in the kitchen (current height is 12 to 18 inches).
Planting out this weekend in Yorks if there is no frost.

Question: I will plant the beans up against wooden fence panels. Will a
few lengths of twine strung laterally across the fence panels be OK for
support? The site is pretty well sheltered from the wind.

Thanks,
Bruce

Old 25-04-2006, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a newbie planning to plant out some green beans, which I have
already started off in the kitchen (current height is 12 to 18 inches).
Planting out this weekend in Yorks if there is no frost.

Question: I will plant the beans up against wooden fence panels. Will a
few lengths of twine strung laterally across the fence panels be OK for
support? The site is pretty well sheltered from the wind.

Thanks,
Bruce

I am not a veggie expert but on the odd occasion that I grow runner beans
(are those same as green beans?) I grow them on canes and strings
vertically. Runners do not like running laterally.
I would not think about planting runners at the moment but then again your
Yorkshire climate may be different to mine.
I am certain others will give you more authoritative information

Old 25-04-2006, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a newbie planning to plant out some green beans, which I have
already started off in the kitchen (current height is 12 to 18 inches).
Planting out this weekend in Yorks if there is no frost.

Question: I will plant the beans up against wooden fence panels. Will a
few lengths of twine strung laterally across the fence panels be OK for
support? The site is pretty well sheltered from the wind.

Not really. Assuming by green beans you mean either runner or french beans,
they climb by twining themselves round a support rather than by tendrils
like peas. They also get heavy when they're laden with beans. Better would
be to get canes, maybe leaning in to the top of the fence.

Steve

Old 25-04-2006, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a newbie planning to plant out some green beans, which I have
already started off in the kitchen (current height is 12 to 18 inches).
Planting out this weekend in Yorks if there is no frost.

Question: I will plant the beans up against wooden fence panels. Will a
few lengths of twine strung laterally across the fence panels be OK for
support? The site is pretty well sheltered from the wind.

Thanks,
Bruce

Wind the string around the beans*, and fix the string to a horizontal
support ideally old metal conduit at least 6 to 8 feet high, fixed
on uprights. Again ideally old conduit. The beans follow the sun
and wind themselves around the string. Use thick polyproplylene
string, not ordinary twine. When the beans reach the horizontal
beam, train them ariund that and they will become self-supporting
or at least not wholly dependent on the string. Fix canes at four
or six feet intervals at an angle, fix a horizontal cane to this
and loosely attach the strings to that for added support in windy
conditions.

* In the Northern hemsisphere, from above, runner beans
wind clockwise, all other climbing beans anti clockwise.
So wind the string in the other direction. French beans etc
are a southern hemisphere crop which never naturalised.
Or the other way around.

If you start the beans off in 3 inch pots, run a short length of
string through the compost when filling the pot, which is gently
wound around the plant as it grows, You can then loop this through
a longer string you already have hanging down attached to the
uprights.

At the end of the season, cut off all the vines at ground level
leaving the nitrogenous root nodules in the soil, and remove the
bean vines on the strings. Using a stout pair of leather gloves
the strings can all be pulled out off the vines ready for next
year before composting the vines. Try not lo leave any odd lengths
of propylene string lying about, as it can cause problems for
wildlife.

michael adams

Old 25-04-2006, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a newbie planning to plant out some green beans, which I have
already started off in the kitchen (current height is 12 to 18 inches).
Planting out this weekend in Yorks if there is no frost.

Question: I will plant the beans up against wooden fence panels. Will a
few lengths of twine strung laterally across the fence panels be OK for
support? The site is pretty well sheltered from the wind.

Thanks,
Bruce

May I suggest using fishing line?
Its much stronger than twine - not too expensive - invisible
You could do vertical with horizontals for the beans to climb up.
Jenny

Old 25-04-2006, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"JennyC" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a newbie planning to plant out some green beans, which I have
already started off in the kitchen (current height is 12 to 18 inches).
Planting out this weekend in Yorks if there is no frost.

Question: I will plant the beans up against wooden fence panels. Will a
few lengths of twine strung laterally across the fence panels be OK for
support? The site is pretty well sheltered from the wind.

Thanks,
Bruce

May I suggest using fishing line?
Its much stronger than twine - not too expensive - invisible
You could do vertical with horizontals for the beans to climb up.
Jenny

The use of fishing line is very dangerous in a garden, with discarded
or broken lengths easily capable of crippling birds or mammals if it
gets wound around their legs etc.

Polyproplelene string might be equally questionable ecologically,
except its easily seen, and can be re-used, year after year.

michael adams

Old 25-04-2006, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I was thinking of using plastic "bricklaying" twine.
Or maybe I'll just buy a few lengths of bamboo.

Bruce

Old 25-04-2006, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Bruce wrote ...
I am a newbie planning to plant out some green beans, which I have
already started off in the kitchen (current height is 12 to 18 inches).
Planting out this weekend in Yorks if there is no frost.

Question: I will plant the beans up against wooden fence panels. Will a
few lengths of twine strung laterally across the fence panels be OK for
support? The site is pretty well sheltered from the wind.

I haven't even started mine off yet as I wouldn't chance planting them out
until the end of May 1st week of June (and see my address!) because they
cannot take a frost.
We grow ours up 8ft bamboo canes attached to a very strong support as the
plants are very heavy when full grown and wet with rain, a good wind and
they can easily bend the canes and/or get blown over.
Canes are a lot cheaper from people like N A Kays than you local GC.
http://kayshorticulture.com/
Also seen them grown up Poly string tied on a battern nailed to a stout
fence.(your fence not a neighbours!)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 28-04-2006, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" writes
I am a newbie planning to plant out some green beans, which I have
already started off in the kitchen (current height is 12 to 18 inches).
Planting out this weekend in Yorks if there is no frost.

Question: I will plant the beans up against wooden fence panels. Will a
few lengths of twine strung laterally across the fence panels be OK for
support? The site is pretty well sheltered from the wind.

Whereabouts in Yorks? I'm in NW Leeds and we can have frost up to first
week of June.
--
Kay

Using dried beans and peas question Baz[_3_] United Kingdom 10 29-11-2012 12:19 PM
Growing Pole Beans with no Support qazwsxed Gardening 0 06-04-2011 09:12 AM
What are green beans is you let them turn into beans? Jacqueline Edible Gardening 1 04-08-2004 02:51 PM
Baling Twine Pat Keith Ponds 6 23-05-2003 02:32 PM
Tar Twine papa United Kingdom 2 22-01-2003 08:46 PM