Old 25-04-2006, 03:20 PM posted to rec.ponds,rec.aquaria.freshwater.goldfish
ranchu

Default Lilies for postage

Phyllis and Jim,

I really don't know what is what. To tell you the truth I don't even
know at this point is any of the red and pink survivied, although I
don't know why they wouldn't have. Last year I did not fertilize my
lilies at all and really just kind of ignored my ponds completely. I
just tired out so easily in the heat, so did not go outside much at
all. My Rose Garden is mess also, but family is helping me clean it up
and so it should look all right later on this year. Luckily the
Peonies are doing great and are better than ever. Last year was cool
compared to most summers on average with only one day in the 100 range,
so the peonies did not burn off like they sometimes do when the temps
are in the 100's for a week at a time and I don't get out there
frequently enough to water them.

I am Glad the stone gravel technique worked for you. It sure was a
bust for me. In fact, now that I think about it the pinks and reds may
have died during that experiment for when all was said and done, I had
a number of pots with rotted tubers in them and no growth.

I have plastic markers this year that I plan to place in each pot to
tell what the color is when I see the a bloom this year, so maybe I can
keep track better. Sorry that you did not get any of the red and pink
ones.

The price of lilies at places like LOWES really jumped last year. You
used to get one for about $4.95 or $5.95, now they are almost $12.00.
I haven't checked this year.

Have a Happy Pond.

Tom L.L.

Phyllis and Jim Hurley wrote:
Hi Tom,

I got some from you the last time. They are doing well.

None of them were pink or red. Have you any in those colors? If you can
spare a half dozen, let me know the postage and I will cheerfully send a
check.

I planted the lilies in stone. They did well. A couple were pulled out by
the koi and began to grow under the milk crates. They have mushroomed in
comparison to the others. They are bare root on the bottom!

Jim