Old 25-04-2006, 06:37 PM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

Default How do I keep my fish from breeding?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a small pond, about 300 gallons, and initially started with just
about 10 goldfish I bought for a dollar. That was a few years ago, and
the fish are now quite large, about the size of a large perch. My
problem is that they keep breeding. I've stocked all of my neighbor's
ponds, but would like to stop the flow of new batches. Is there
anything that can be done to keep them from breeding without harming
them?

Sorry no such luck. There isn't anything like a birthcontrol pill for fish.
You can separate the fish by gender, but it's really difficult. Male
goldfish have a slightly thicker pectoral fin.

Otherwise just give the excess fish to a pet store, feed them to a local
heron or kingfisher, cull them.

-S