Old 25-04-2006, 06:37 PM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

Default How do I keep my fish from breeding?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a small pond, about 300 gallons, and initially started with just
about 10 goldfish I bought for a dollar. That was a few years ago, and
the fish are now quite large, about the size of a large perch. My
problem is that they keep breeding. I've stocked all of my neighbor's
ponds, but would like to stop the flow of new batches. Is there
anything that can be done to keep them from breeding without harming
them?

Sorry no such luck. There isn't anything like a birthcontrol pill for fish.
You can separate the fish by gender, but it's really difficult. Male
goldfish have a slightly thicker pectoral fin.

Otherwise just give the excess fish to a pet store, feed them to a local
heron or kingfisher, cull them.

-S

Old 25-04-2006, 08:45 PM posted to rec.ponds
Altum

Snooze wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a small pond, about 300 gallons, and initially started with just
about 10 goldfish I bought for a dollar. That was a few years ago, and
the fish are now quite large, about the size of a large perch. My
problem is that they keep breeding. I've stocked all of my neighbor's
ponds, but would like to stop the flow of new batches. Is there
anything that can be done to keep them from breeding without harming
them?

Sorry no such luck. There isn't anything like a birthcontrol pill for fish.
You can separate the fish by gender, but it's really difficult. Male
goldfish have a slightly thicker pectoral fin.

Otherwise just give the excess fish to a pet store, feed them to a local
heron or kingfisher, cull them.

What about adding something that eats fry like Gambusia or weather
loaches? If your pond doesn't get too cold, weather loaches can
overwinter and they've kept my outdoor mollies from breeding me out of
house and home. Gambusia are notorious fry eaters, although they may
not survive your hungry goldfish.

I'm sure there are plenty of other temperate predatory fish that would
clean up a pond of baby goldfish.

Ever had any desire for an indoor tank with an oscar? ;-)

--
Put the word aquaria in the subject to email me.
Did you read the FAQ? http://faq.thekrib.com
Old 28-04-2006, 05:34 PM posted to rec.ponds
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Gambusia are a great answer. I am surprised that your goldfish have not
eaten most of the fry themselves. We use gambusia and never see fry in the
koi pond, tho some pass thru the filter to the berm ponds.

Jim

--
See our pond at: home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/pwp-jameshurley
Ask me about Jog A Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"Altum" wrote in message
et...