Old 25-04-2006, 07:45 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Newts are back!

"Marco Schwarz" wrote in message
Hi..

We drained our 800g pond this past weekend and
had to relocate several small frogs and about 25 newts!

This is why I've summer ponds - less work to do (I'm a
little bit lazy!).. :-)

What are summer ponds? :-) Mine contain water all year long (except the
temporary spring pond from runoff) and draw newts and frogs like crazy. The
toads showed up a few days ago so now they're also out there doing their
thing.

All were those small green ones with red spots.
We didn't see any of their spawn. We also sometimes
see the rarer, larger black and yellow newt.

Hmm.., I'm not familiar with North American newts. Do you
have some pics or links? Thanks.

The book I have just calls them Spotted Salamanders so I guess technically
they're not newts.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.