Old 26-04-2006, 12:05 AM posted to rec.ponds
G Pearce

Default Shelf life of pond bacteria

ALL living bacteria cultures have a "best before" date on them - IF you find
some on a shelf with no expirey (sp?) date , I would ask why - Old stock
that they don't want to dump and peeled stickers off ? - ANY living bacteria
has an expirey date - I know that because I sell it, and it works, but only
if it is not outdated and /or not not used properly by the buyer as per
instructions
Your pond already has the bacteria in it if it is an established pond and/
or filter - by using the bacteria additive you are "spiking" the levels of
good bacteria to get your filter up and running faster and speeding up the
decay process of the "mulm" or fish waste, dead plant material in your pond
I have been using it for ~7 yrs and like not having to scoop or
install a bottom drain to clean my pond floor - JMO
Gale :~)
Standing in the local pond shop yesterday I tried to find a good source of
filter bacteria, but left with nothing feeling pretty annoyed.

The shop once sold bacteria in a sealed bad impregnated onto a foam pad.
It makes sense that the bacteria should colonise the pad in good numbers.
The pad was slightly damp and I think there was a shelf life of a few
months. What I have problems with are the 250ml bottles of filter starter
that have no manufacture or use by date.

I would be interested to know if anyone in the UK knows of a good source
for cultured pond bacteria, live on delivery. I'm not looking for the
pre-colonised filter media, perhaps a solution or pad that people know to
work well. The ponds coming to life now, so I want to be sure the right
bacteria are taking hold.

Regards David