Old 26-04-2006, 08:49 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Phred

Default Twining plants

In article , wrote:
In article ,
Stan Dornfeld wrote:

As a machinist and with some metal experience, I find it interesting how the
tendril actually bends toward the curl.
A bimetalic strip, as used in a thermostat, will bend on temperature change
because on one side of the strip that metal will expand or contract faster
than that of the other.

I'm curious how it's effected in the plant.

[snip]
I hope somebody who actually knows something about this will correct
my errors and give you a better reply. I mostly answered because nobody
else did., and it's a good question that deserves an answer. ;-)

What makes you think plants don't know what they're doing? Haven't
you heard the screams of those infant sprouts as vegans and others
condemn them to an awfull death of being partially mascerated while
still alive, then immersed in an acidic bath to finish 'em off?

Poor little innocents, even denied the chance of a good root.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID