Old 19-04-2006, 04:10 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Stan

Default Twining plants

Hi there...

Anyone know how or what mechanisim a tendril uses to know which way to
wind around a (wrot iron) support (post)?

There were 4 posts for this winding plant to use.

It wound around all four posts in the same direction. ?? Go figure?

Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Stan-
Old 19-04-2006, 03:28 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
monique

Genetics--Twining direction varies by group. Some plants or plant
families are all left-handers (counter-clockwise) and some are all
right-handers (clockwise).

This was the subject of the famous song "Misalliance" by Flanders and
Swann. http://www.nomorelyrics.net/song/179729.html

M. Reed.

Old 19-04-2006, 04:07 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
P van Rijckevorsel

IIRC, Darwin wrote on this topic which fascinated him.
PvR

"monique" schreef

Old 23-04-2006, 08:32 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Stan Dornfeld

Thank you so much for the info.. *Smile

As a machinist and with some metal experience, I find it interesting how the
tendril actually bends toward the curl.
A bimetalic strip, as used in a thermostat, will bend on temperature change
because on one side of the strip that metal will expand or contract faster
than that of the other.

I'm curious how it's effected in the plant.

Any info?

Much appreciation for your contributions.

Best regards,

Stan-

Old 26-04-2006, 06:08 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

In article ,
Stan Dornfeld wrote:

As a machinist and with some metal experience, I find it interesting how the
tendril actually bends toward the curl.
A bimetalic strip, as used in a thermostat, will bend on temperature change
because on one side of the strip that metal will expand or contract faster
than that of the other.

I'm curious how it's effected in the plant.

When a plant bends toward the light, or away from the ground, one side
of the growing stem elongates its cells more than the rest, so it's a
little like the bimetallic strip. In twining plants, there would have
to be a diagonal or helical component to this. You may have noticed
that when a clinging structure like a twining stem or the tendrils on
peas or squash contacts something suitable it stops extending and waving
around and grabs hold, something that happens over a period of
hours or less. I don't know the mechanism of detecting the contact
and responding to it, but I think it's pretty cool. No doubt some work
has been done on it.

Btw, I think you've been describing a twining stem, a main structure of
the plant that bears leaves and flowers and wraps itself up the support.
Tendrils are specialized structures derived from leaves that grab hold
of something and hang on. Peas, grapes, squash, melons, cucumbers, etc
all have tendrils, while pole beans and morning glories twine.

I hope somebody who actually knows something about this will correct
my errors and give you a better reply. I mostly answered because nobody
else did., and it's a good question that deserves an answer. ;-)

Old 26-04-2006, 04:44 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Directional plant growth responses induced by touch are termed
thigmotropisms. A google.com search on thigmotropism will turn up some
good introductory websites.

The New Phytologist has a 2005 review on plant touch (thigmo-)

Braam, J. 2005. In touch: Plant responses to mechanical stimuli. New
Phytologist 165: 373-389.

It is available for free online:
http://bioc.rice.edu/~braam/pubs/New...m%20cop y.pdf

Darwin's work on plant thigmo- responses is in the books The Power of
Movement in Plants and Insectivorous Plants. They are both available
for free online.

David R. Hershey

Old 27-04-2006, 03:07 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
John Wilkins

wrote:
Directional plant growth responses induced by touch are termed
thigmotropisms. A google.com search on thigmotropism will turn up some
good introductory websites.

The New Phytologist has a 2005 review on plant touch (thigmo-)

Braam, J. 2005. In touch: Plant responses to mechanical stimuli. New
Phytologist 165: 373-389.

It is available for free online:
http://bioc.rice.edu/~braam/pubs/New...m%20cop y.pdf

Darwin's work on plant thigmo- responses is in the books The Power of
Movement in Plants

http://pages.britishlibrary.net/char...nt/move_fm.htm

and Insectivorous Plants.

http://pages.britishlibrary.net/char.../insect_fm.htm

They are both available
for free online.

--
John S. Wilkins, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Biohumanities Project
University of Queensland - Blog: evolvethought.blogspot.com
Old 30-04-2006, 05:24 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Stan Dornfeld

Thank you so much... *S

Nice of you to reply.

Regards,

Stan-

wrote in message
. ..

Old 30-04-2006, 05:26 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Stan Dornfeld

thank you.. *S

Regards,

Stan-
oups.com...

Old 30-04-2006, 05:42 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Stan Dornfeld

Default Twining plants *interesting..

in ~1949.. I was 9 years old.

My mother had received a "Wood Rose" from Hawaii.

Mother decided to germinate the seeds. The resulting plant was in a pot
with a stake to wind around. We lived in Indio CA. It was summer. HOT!

One day I heard a fairly high frequency creaking sound, not too loud. I
tracked it to the woodrose. As I took time to study the plant I all of a
sudden noticed the tendrils revolving around the stick it was climbing.
What a treat to actually watch a plant grow. *Smile

I seemed to be circling the stick in about 3 minutes. Just an estimate to
convey the speed of growth.

Thought you might find this interesting...

Regards,

Stan-