Old 26-04-2006, 01:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

Default ID plant with beautifull leaves

On 26 Apr 2006 02:42:02 GMT
Kay Lancaster wrote:

[]
There are a couple of species of Liriodendron, and a newish hybrid between
them... L. tulipifera is the North American species:
http://www.arboretum.harvard.edu/plants/cent_trees.html
http://www.tva.gov/river/landandshor...lip_poplar.htm
L. chinense is the green-flowered species:
http://www.asianflora.com/Magnoliace...n-chinense.htm
Best I can find of the flowers is actually on a stamp:
http://www.cpi.com.cn/cpi-e/newissue/2006-5.asp

Thanks Kay for these great links. I've not seen the Arnold website before,
and it's a fascinating data base. I'll definitely be consulting before my
next visit to Boston!

I'd never even heard of the chinense version of Liriodendron. I do
think that many L. tulipifera have green flowers, though. Mine
has been in for about 10 years, and doesn't seem particularly
fast growing in Normandy. Perhaps too wet, or summers not
hot enough to fully ripen wood. No sign of flowers at all yet.

cheers

-E
--
Emery Davis