Old 23-04-2006, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Freddy Artichoke

Default ID plant with beautifull leaves

Last autumn I went for a week-end on the mountains.
Walking through the woods, near the hotel, I found some beautiful strange
trees. They had something of magic cause of their long branches and their
apparently cut, veryyellow leaves.

This afternoon exploring internet I have found, in a web site, a little
picture with these strange, very yellow, leaves. Looking them, I have just
remembered my last autumn week-end in the forest and so I would like to know
their name to buy some of these trees for my garden.
This is the link conducting to the leaf:
http://www.agrolinker.co.uk/cgi-bin/...aBB.pl?board=9
Thanks in advance,
Freddy

Old 24-04-2006, 12:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

Freddy Artichoke wrote:
Last autumn I went for a week-end on the mountains.
Walking through the woods, near the hotel, I found some beautiful strange
trees. They had something of magic cause of their long branches and their
apparently cut, very yellow leaves.

I would guess Tulip Tree:
http://www.iloveny.com/fall/pages/Tuliptree.html

Neighbor (across the street) got a great deal on two, 12 footers a good
5 years back. Things are very tall but they never flower, so much for
a good deal LOL.

Old 24-04-2006, 08:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
Freddy Artichoke

Neighbor (across the street) got a great deal on two, 12 footers a good
5 years back. Things are very tall but they never flower, so much for
a good deal LOL.

Well, tulip tree!
Here there is no one of them.
thanks for your answer,

But why don't they flower?
Usually do they flower? In which season?
Thanks, bye

Old 24-04-2006, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

Neighbor (across the street) got a great deal on two, 12 footers a good
5 years back. Things are very tall but they never flower, so much for
a good deal LOL.

Liriodendron tulipifera?
That's because they're still too young and too small to flower. Give 'em
another ten years or so... then look up for the flowers. When they're older,
they'll flower on lower branches.

First flowering for most tulip trees is about 15-20 years old... and then
they'll keep going for another 200 or so... A few strains (notably a
Florida strain) flower younger than average, but most require some growth.

Old 25-04-2006, 12:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Kay Lancaster wrote:
Neighbor (across the street) got a great deal on two, 12 footers a good
5 years back. Things are very tall but they never flower, so much for
a good deal LOL.

Liriodendron tulipifera?
That's because they're still too young and too small to flower. Give 'em
another ten years or so... then look up for the flowers. When they're older,
they'll flower on lower branches.

First flowering for most tulip trees is about 15-20 years old... and then
they'll keep going for another 200 or so... A few strains (notably a
Florida strain) flower younger than average, but most require some growth.

=================
15 to 20 years! Guess my neighbor has a few more years to wait them
:0)

The trees are a nice size though, already taller than their two story
house .

Old 26-04-2006, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

IIRC, Liriodendron tulipifera is the tallest tree species east of the
Mississippi and the tallest deciduous tree in North America. Those
trees have a long way to go...

I think the biggest recorded L. tulipifera is about 160 ft tall, with a DBH of
about 10 ft. No one knows how big the Chinese species will get... it's
only been planted in the west since about 1906, and it's pretty rare in
China.

There are some white ash, black locust, pignut hickory and American
sycamore in about the L. tulipifera size class, as well as some
cucumbertree, Magnolia acuminata, a not-terribly-distant relative of
Liriodendron.

We have some fairly mature Liriodendron on our property, and I only see
the flowers when they fall to the ground. Even the lower branches are
way up in the woodland canopy.

Sounds like they were heavily shaded or heavily pruned when young.

I used to have to get specimens from a couple of Liriodendron on campus
for class... it involved climbing out on the roof of a four story building
with a pole pruner, cutting the flowers, and hoping at least a few made
it to the ground so I could pick them up.

There are a couple of species of Liriodendron, and a newish hybrid between
them... L. tulipifera is the North American species:
http://www.arboretum.harvard.edu/plants/cent_trees.html
http://www.tva.gov/river/landandshor...lip_poplar.htm
L. chinense is the green-flowered species:
http://www.asianflora.com/Magnoliace...n-chinense.htm
Best I can find of the flowers is actually on a stamp:
http://www.cpi.com.cn/cpi-e/newissue/2006-5.asp

Old 26-04-2006, 01:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

On 26 Apr 2006 02:42:02 GMT
Kay Lancaster wrote:

[]
There are a couple of species of Liriodendron, and a newish hybrid between
them... L. tulipifera is the North American species:
http://www.arboretum.harvard.edu/plants/cent_trees.html
http://www.tva.gov/river/landandshor...lip_poplar.htm
L. chinense is the green-flowered species:
http://www.asianflora.com/Magnoliace...n-chinense.htm
Best I can find of the flowers is actually on a stamp:
http://www.cpi.com.cn/cpi-e/newissue/2006-5.asp

Thanks Kay for these great links. I've not seen the Arnold website before,
and it's a fascinating data base. I'll definitely be consulting before my
next visit to Boston!

I'd never even heard of the chinense version of Liriodendron. I do
think that many L. tulipifera have green flowers, though. Mine
has been in for about 10 years, and doesn't seem particularly
fast growing in Normandy. Perhaps too wet, or summers not
hot enough to fully ripen wood. No sign of flowers at all yet.

cheers

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 26-04-2006, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

The lot is densely wooded, so saplings are almost certainly somewhat
shaded when they are young. I doubt anyone has been wandering around

That'll do it.

the woods pruning the trees. To me, it seems normal for mature
woodland trees not to have lots of very low branches, and I like the
look of tall straight trunks like pillars in a cathedral..

It is, but many second or third (or more!) growth woodlands have had
partial clearances for firewood, or tree thinning, or diseases, and
you see more low branches. Or you could have someone like my late father
on your property... all trees shall be limbed up to a minimum of ten feet
or so... g

Kay, who's a bit sore today after doing the lawnmower limbo under some of
her trees with very low branches...

Old 26-04-2006, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

Thanks Kay for these great links. I've not seen the Arnold website before,
and it's a fascinating data base. I'll definitely be consulting before my
next visit to Boston!

Very nice arboretum, from what I've seen of photos (I've not been there)...
they have a lot of Asiatic rarities like Davidia involucrata, too.

I'd never even heard of the chinense version of Liriodendron. I do
think that many L. tulipifera have green flowers, though. Mine

I've not seen one that doesn't have the orange splash at the bottom,
which I've not seen in L. chinense. If you get to the UK, I think most
of the big botanical gardens there have L. chinense, too.

has been in for about 10 years, and doesn't seem particularly
fast growing in Normandy. Perhaps too wet, or summers not
hot enough to fully ripen wood. No sign of flowers at all yet.

Could you possibly have L. chinense there? I understand it tends to be a
slower grower.

Old 27-04-2006, 10:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

On 26 Apr 2006 21:42:07 GMT
Kay Lancaster wrote:

Thanks Kay for these great links. I've not seen the Arnold website before,
and it's a fascinating data base. I'll definitely be consulting before my
next visit to Boston!

Very nice arboretum, from what I've seen of photos (I've not been there)...
they have a lot of Asiatic rarities like Davidia involucrata, too.

Is that a rarity? A friend of mine has one growing happily in
a tub while he waits for his new house to be built.

Anyway it's a beautiful arboretum with some great collections.
Well worth the visit. Some of the maples like A. diabolicum are
hard to find anywhere outside of habitat; though I don't doubt
there are examples at places like Hergest Croft, and perhaps
at Les Barres here in France.

I'd never even heard of the chinense version of Liriodendron. I do
think that many L. tulipifera have green flowers, though. Mine

I've not seen one that doesn't have the orange splash at the bottom,
which I've not seen in L. chinense. If you get to the UK, I think most
of the big botanical gardens there have L. chinense, too.

has been in for about 10 years, and doesn't seem particularly
fast growing in Normandy. Perhaps too wet, or summers not
hot enough to fully ripen wood. No sign of flowers at all yet.

Could you possibly have L. chinense there? I understand it tends to be a
slower grower.

I don't think so; at least it wasn't sold as such and from your links
I gather it is tulipifera. I'll let you know about the orange splashes
when/if it finally gets around to flowering!

I do get up to the UK often enough, so I'll surely keep an eye out
for L. chinense, thanks.

-E

Old 27-04-2006, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:29:06 +0200, Emery Davis wrote:
On 26 Apr 2006 21:42:07 GMT
Kay Lancaster wrote:

Very nice arboretum, from what I've seen of photos (I've not been there)...
they have a lot of Asiatic rarities like Davidia involucrata, too.

Is that a rarity? A friend of mine has one growing happily in
a tub while he waits for his new house to be built.

Quite rare in the wild; on the IUCN Red List. L. chinenese is also in
the red book, iirc.

Kay