Old 26-04-2006, 07:38 PM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

Default Shelf life of pond bacteria

"Koi-Lo" wrote in message

I've had ponds since 1995 and never added anything but KoiZyme which is
supposed to out-compete the bacteria that cause ulcer-disease of koi and
GF. I believe it works as this disease has not occurred since I've been
adding it to my ponds. I buy it fresh and add it every spring.

Have you read the faq for their product? http://www.koizyme.com/faq.html

"This is due to the fact that Koizyme only lives in your pond for 3 to 4
days (it has gone through it's complete life cycle at that point)."

Even if it was bottled only 1 month before you purchased it, the stuff has
gone through 10 life cycles. Or am I supposed to believe in the bottle it
undergoes some kind of suspended animation.

"The Koizyme bacteria's do not consume ammonia or nitrites, therefore they
do not compete with your filter."

Of course not, it died 3-4 days after it was bottled. Plus you claim to
prevent something

"KoiZyme - the pro-biotic that effectively prevents Ulcer Disease. KoiZyme
contains no chemicals, no medications and no antibiotics of any kind. It is
a proprietary, organic preparation of non-pathogenic bacteria, enzymes and
micro-nutrients, and it works on the established principle of an accepted
scientific process widely known in commercial aquaculture management called
Competitive Exclusion."

It only works if you fail to understand what competitive exclusion is. Based
on the faq, at best it's a brief competitor. No way it can achieve
competitive exclusion and die off in 4 days.

-S