Old 27-04-2006, 10:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

Default ID plant with beautifull leaves

On 26 Apr 2006 21:42:07 GMT
Kay Lancaster wrote:

Thanks Kay for these great links. I've not seen the Arnold website before,
and it's a fascinating data base. I'll definitely be consulting before my
next visit to Boston!

Very nice arboretum, from what I've seen of photos (I've not been there)...
they have a lot of Asiatic rarities like Davidia involucrata, too.

Is that a rarity? A friend of mine has one growing happily in
a tub while he waits for his new house to be built.

Anyway it's a beautiful arboretum with some great collections.
Well worth the visit. Some of the maples like A. diabolicum are
hard to find anywhere outside of habitat; though I don't doubt
there are examples at places like Hergest Croft, and perhaps
at Les Barres here in France.

I'd never even heard of the chinense version of Liriodendron. I do
think that many L. tulipifera have green flowers, though. Mine

I've not seen one that doesn't have the orange splash at the bottom,
which I've not seen in L. chinense. If you get to the UK, I think most
of the big botanical gardens there have L. chinense, too.

has been in for about 10 years, and doesn't seem particularly
fast growing in Normandy. Perhaps too wet, or summers not
hot enough to fully ripen wood. No sign of flowers at all yet.

Could you possibly have L. chinense there? I understand it tends to be a
slower grower.

I don't think so; at least it wasn't sold as such and from your links
I gather it is tulipifera. I'll let you know about the orange splashes
when/if it finally gets around to flowering!

I do get up to the UK often enough, so I'll surely keep an eye out
for L. chinense, thanks.

-E

--
Emery Davis