Old 27-04-2006, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default Cornus Alba - to prune or not to prune

dlrodgers wrote:
I bought 4 cornus alba plants last year for their bright coloured bark
in winter. They were small plants, about 18ins high, with thin
branches. I know it's getting a bit late now but should I prune them
hard back or leave them a year to get stronger, and prune hard next
year? Any thoughts greatly received.

I wouldn't do it now. Too late. Next March cut one in three stems right
back, those that are twisted and dead too. I have once cut mine right
back - all of the branches - and it took all year to come up again. I
need mine for privacy and therefore it's no good to cut all the
branches off. Also I prune every 2 years. HTH