Old 27-04-2006, 06:38 PM
susanjean susanjean is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Every year I grow Datura Metaloides ( white fragrant variety that open
at night) This year they did not come up!!! My summers are not the same
without these beautiful plants.

Why do you grow it from seed every year?

Most winters it will overwinter in a pot with minimal protection from
frost and sometimes even when left in the ground undeer a mul;ch where
I live in North Yorkshire. Severe winters kill them, but you get so
much seed that saving some is no hardship and the rest gets used as
greenhouse rodent bait (very toxic). I get a fair number of sporadic
seedlings most years too. Initially they are similar to tomatoes until
the first true leaves appear.

As it is to late to sow some more, does anyone know where I can get
hold of these as young plants, or has anyone got some to spare to buy?
I live in Surrey but distence is no object (within reason of course!)

If you still have the roots of last years plants water them and bring
them into the warm. you would be unlucky if they all didn't grow. And
an establ;ished root gets to flowering size faster than growing from
seed. They don't reappear in outside ground until about June when it
wamrs up in Yorkshire so a greenhouse is helful.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Martin,

Thanks very much for this advice., I will bring my one and only plant in now to get warm. You said they don't reappear until June, I think I have just assumed that they hadn't survived the winter and threw them away.
I have planted some more, hopefully this time they might germinate, I don't seem to be very sucessful in this area but who knows...
Thanks again Susanjean