Old 22-04-2006, 12:27 PM
Registered User

Question desperate for daturas

Every year I grow Datura Metaloides ( white fragrant variety that open at night) This year they did not come up!!! My summers are not the same without these beautiful plants.
As it is to late to sow some more, does anyone know where I can get hold of these as young plants, or has anyone got some to spare to buy?
I live in Surrey but distence is no object (within reason of course!)
Thanks
Old 22-04-2006, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

Default desperate for daturas

As it is to late to sow some more, does anyone know where I can get
hold of these as young plants, or has anyone got some to spare to buy?

try ebay

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 23-04-2006, 04:51 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanjean
Every year I grow Datura Metaloides ( white fragrant variety that open at night) This year they did not come up!!! My summers are not the same without these beautiful plants.
As it is to late to sow some more, does anyone know where I can get hold of these as young plants, or has anyone got some to spare to buy?
I live in Surrey but distence is no object (within reason of course!)
Thanks
are those plants legal? I heard they produce a hallucinagentic. they are pretty though.
Old 24-04-2006, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"susanjean" wrote in message

Every year I grow Datura Metaloides ( white fragrant variety that open
at night) This year they did not come up!!! My summers are not the same
without these beautiful plants.
As it is to late to sow some more, does anyone know where I can get
hold of these as young plants, or has anyone got some to spare to buy?
I live in Surrey but distence is no object (within reason of course!)
Thanks

--
susanjean

Have a look at the following link they are about to start sending out
Brugmansias. The Knightii I got from them a few years ago is a beauty and
grew to maturity in the first season.
http://www.junglegardens.co.uk/PlantOrders/enter.html

Old 24-04-2006, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Lea

I grow these in France, if you can't get plants, I am quite happy to
save some seed for you - let me know.

In article , susanjean
writes

Old 24-04-2006, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk

Every year I grow Datura Metaloides ( white fragrant variety that open
at night) This year they did not come up!!! My summers are not the same
without these beautiful plants.

Why do you grow it from seed every year?

Most winters it will overwinter in a pot with minimal protection from
frost and sometimes even when left in the ground undeer a mul;ch where
I live in North Yorkshire. Severe winters kill them, but you get so
much seed that saving some is no hardship and the rest gets used as
greenhouse rodent bait (very toxic). I get a fair number of sporadic
seedlings most years too. Initially they are similar to tomatoes until
the first true leaves appear.

As it is to late to sow some more, does anyone know where I can get
hold of these as young plants, or has anyone got some to spare to buy?
I live in Surrey but distence is no object (within reason of course!)

If you still have the roots of last years plants water them and bring
them into the warm. you would be unlucky if they all didn't grow. And
an establ;ished root gets to flowering size faster than growing from
seed. They don't reappear in outside ground until about June when it
wamrs up in Yorkshire so a greenhouse is helful.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 27-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by
[...]

Martin,

Thanks very much for this advice., I will bring my one and only plant in now to get warm. You said they don't reappear until June, I think I have just assumed that they hadn't survived the winter and threw them away.
I have planted some more, hopefully this time they might germinate, I don't seem to be very sucessful in this area but who knows...
Thanks again Susanjean
Old 27-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Ryder
As it is to late to sow some more, does anyone know where I can get
hold of these as young plants, or has anyone got some to spare to buy?

try ebay

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)
Thanks for the advice, did try but no luck. I am going to try the seeds again. with a little luck who knows?

Susan
Old 27-04-2006, 06:44 PM
Registered User

Thanks for the offer I will let you know. I am going to try again. A bit late but better late than never

Sue
Old 27-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengrass
are those plants legal? I heard they produce a hallucinagentic. they are pretty though.
Yes they are, and quite toxic, but I don't want to eat them, just smell them.
As for being legal I think if Thomas & Morgan stock them we can pretty much assume assume they are....
Anyway, I am having another try with these seeds, hopefully this time they will grow!

Sue