Old 27-04-2006, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jupiter

Default Tomatoes, growbags and compost?

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:47:34 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

Is there any real difference between using growbags and pots of compost for
growing tomatoes in?

I intend, when I can get my lazy bottom off this chair, to plant some
tomatoes in the greenhouse, but when I go to the garden centres they have
both compost bags, and growbags, and I wonder whether there is any real
difference between the two, or I could use the compost from my heap.

SWMBO tells me that when growing tomatoes in growbags you must feed them.

Alan

The major difficulty with growbags is keeping them watered. It can be
a twice daily job at the height of summer and even then you can have
problems. They're not very deep and dry out rapidly in hot sun. With
a pot of compost you've got more depth but you'll still need to keep a
close eye on the watering.