Old 27-04-2006, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

Default Tomatoes, growbags and compost?

Is there any real difference between using growbags and pots of compost for
growing tomatoes in?

I intend, when I can get my lazy bottom off this chair, to plant some
tomatoes in the greenhouse, but when I go to the garden centres they have
both compost bags, and growbags, and I wonder whether there is any real
difference between the two, or I could use the compost from my heap.

SWMBO tells me that when growing tomatoes in growbags you must feed them.

Alan

Old 27-04-2006, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jupiter

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:47:34 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

Is there any real difference between using growbags and pots of compost for
growing tomatoes in?

I intend, when I can get my lazy bottom off this chair, to plant some
tomatoes in the greenhouse, but when I go to the garden centres they have
both compost bags, and growbags, and I wonder whether there is any real
difference between the two, or I could use the compost from my heap.

SWMBO tells me that when growing tomatoes in growbags you must feed them.

Alan

The major difficulty with growbags is keeping them watered. It can be
a twice daily job at the height of summer and even then you can have
problems. They're not very deep and dry out rapidly in hot sun. With
a pot of compost you've got more depth but you'll still need to keep a
close eye on the watering.
Old 27-04-2006, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
gary croft

wrote:

Is there any real difference between using growbags and pots of compost
for growing tomatoes in?

I intend, when I can get my lazy bottom off this chair, to plant some
tomatoes in the greenhouse, but when I go to the garden centres they have
both compost bags, and growbags, and I wonder whether there is any real
difference between the two, or I could use the compost from my heap.

SWMBO tells me that when growing tomatoes in growbags you must feed them.

Alan

The major difficulty with growbags is keeping them watered. It can be
a twice daily job at the height of summer and even then you can have
problems. They're not very deep and dry out rapidly in hot sun. With
a pot of compost you've got more depth but you'll still need to keep a
close eye on the watering.

There is one thing you can do with grow bags to reduce watering that is
stand them on end and squash them down which forms a nice 15l pot of cheap
compost of course this means you only get one plant in each bag but makes
life easier i done this last year with great success saves worrying about
pots etc. Also cause you only have one plant per bag you can wait a little
longer for your first feed say bout 6 weeks then feed fortnightly..
Old 27-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Holmes
Is there any real difference between using growbags and pots of compost for
growing tomatoes in?
Alan
I'm the proud owner of a new g/house so this year will be the 1st time I grow toms inside. As far as I can tell the main drawback of growbags is the limited amount of 'compost' in them so they are prone to drying out. I'll be growing mine in pots + multipurpose compost, but would welcome advice on a suitable size (I was thinking of 30cm/12").
Chris
Old 27-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Registered User

I've been growing toms and melons in the greenhouse in growbags for years. However, I, like Gary, up-end a grow bag, standing it on it's end, then cut the very top off, and roll back the excess plastic. I then plant 2 tomato or melon plants in the end, and train each away from each other.

Advantages .... the depth of soil is much greater. Very easy to water, and requires less watering as dries out less.

Disadvantages .... uh....

Old 28-04-2006, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message , cdorling
writes

Alan Holmes Wrote:
Is there any real difference between using growbags and pots of

compost
for
growing tomatoes in?
Alan

I'm the proud owner of a new g/house so this year will be the 1st time
I grow toms inside. As far as I can tell the main drawback of growbags
is the limited amount of 'compost' in them so they are prone to drying
out. I'll be growing mine in pots + multipurpose compost, but would
welcome advice on a suitable size (I was thinking of 30cm/12").
Chris

Yeah I think we probably use 12 inch pots

--
Chris French