Old 27-04-2006, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default Sparse flowering Bergenia

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...
What does the panel think is the secret of getting shy-to-flower
Bergenias to perform?

I have a smaller leaved pink variety (can't remember the name) which has
spread slowly in the last few years but been disappointing as regards
flowering. I've read that a sunny position is best but this one is in
the sun most of the day. It gets some garden compost when I mulch the
border. A Bressingham White, in another bed that's shaded in the
afternoons, flowers it's head off every year. Do I need to feed the first
one more, or less, or just give up and find a better one?

--
Sue

They do seem to do OK even in fairly dry semi shade as well as full sun.
I would give the pink one a final chance (punishment) by chopping it right
back and depriving it of any food.
At the very least you will get some very attractive young light green leaves
and my guess is that it will surprise you with flowers also.