Old 27-04-2006, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Default Sparse flowering Bergenia

What does the panel think is the secret of getting shy-to-flower
Bergenias to perform?

I have a smaller leaved pink variety (can't remember the name) which has
spread slowly in the last few years but been disappointing as regards
flowering. I've read that a sunny position is best but this one is in
the sun most of the day. It gets some garden compost when I mulch the
border. A Bressingham White, in another bed that's shaded in the
afternoons, flowers it's head off every year. Do I need to feed the
first
one more, or less, or just give up and find a better one?

--
Sue

Old 27-04-2006, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...
What does the panel think is the secret of getting shy-to-flower
Bergenias to perform?

I have a smaller leaved pink variety (can't remember the name) which has
spread slowly in the last few years but been disappointing as regards
flowering. I've read that a sunny position is best but this one is in
the sun most of the day. It gets some garden compost when I mulch the
border. A Bressingham White, in another bed that's shaded in the
afternoons, flowers it's head off every year. Do I need to feed the first
one more, or less, or just give up and find a better one?

--
Sue

They do seem to do OK even in fairly dry semi shade as well as full sun.
I would give the pink one a final chance (punishment) by chopping it right
back and depriving it of any food.
At the very least you will get some very attractive young light green leaves
and my guess is that it will surprise you with flowers also.

Old 28-04-2006, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
"Sue" wrote
What does the panel think is the secret of getting shy-to-flower
Bergenias to perform?

snip

They do seem to do OK even in fairly dry semi shade as well as full
sun. I would give the pink one a final chance (punishment) by chopping
it right back and depriving it of any food.
At the very least you will get some very attractive young light green
leaves and my guess is that it will surprise you with flowers also.

Ok, I'll give it a short back and sides and starvation rations. If that
doesn't work I can always blame you.

Thanks Rupert.

--
Sue

Old 29-04-2006, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 19:42:14 +0100, "Sue"
wrote:

What does the panel think is the secret of getting shy-to-flower
Bergenias to perform?

I have a smaller leaved pink variety (can't remember the name) which has
spread slowly in the last few years but been disappointing as regards
flowering. I've read that a sunny position is best but this one is in
the sun most of the day. It gets some garden compost when I mulch the
border. A Bressingham White, in another bed that's shaded in the
afternoons, flowers it's head off every year. Do I need to feed the
first
one more, or less, or just give up and find a better one?

When did you last divide it? IME they can get old and tired,
especially in the centre. Dig it up; chop off chunks from around the
edge with a sharp knife or spade, and replant them, discarding the old
bit in the middle. They're almost indestructible BTW, so you won't
lose it. Mine have even survived a cycle through the (cold) compost
heap and come again!

--
Chris

Old 30-04-2006, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Chris Hogg" wrote
wrote:

What does the panel think is the secret of getting shy-to-flower
Bergenias to perform?

snip

When did you last divide it? IME they can get old and tired,
especially in the centre. Dig it up; chop off chunks from around the
edge with a sharp knife or spade, and replant them, discarding the old
bit in the middle. They're almost indestructible BTW, so you won't
lose it. Mine have even survived a cycle through the (cold) compost
heap and come again!

It's a small variety and doesn't seem to spread very quickly. It did get
halved when I remade the border a few years back and has now spread and
met up again, but has never seemed to flower much at all. I think I'll
take some divisions and try them in different places but if it doesn't
buck its ideas up soon it'll be out!

--
Sue

Old 01-05-2006, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Chris Hogg" wrote
wrote:

[...]

Maybe its frost damage? that's what gets mine most years, this year has been
very good as the cold winter held them back and the flowered before the
frost returned in April, I grow two sorts B. cordifolia which is a big
evergreen thug and B. cilliata which is deciduous and much more tender.
If you get frost while the flowers are coming they will go to mush and you
will never see them.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

sparse seeds Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 44 10-06-2011 11:34 AM
Propagate Bergenia: how? Lord0 United Kingdom 4 20-02-2008 09:58 AM
Odonts on Parade - Odontoglossum Frechdachs - Gorgeous white flower with sparse burgundy spots Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 21-01-2007 03:17 AM
Sparse Azaleas Rachel Gardening 3 26-04-2005 03:05 PM
[IBC] Flowering Plum Bonsai tree question. Marty Haber Bonsai 0 23-01-2003 03:20 PM