Old 28-04-2006, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

Default Cornus Alba - to prune or not to prune

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 16:22:59 +0000
dlrodgers wrote:

La Puce Wrote:
dlrodgers wrote:
I bought 4 cornus alba plants last year for their bright coloured
bark
in winter. They were small plants, about 18ins high, with thin
branches. I know it's getting a bit late now but should I prune them
hard back or leave them a year to get stronger, and prune hard next
year? Any thoughts greatly received.

I wouldn't do it now. Too late. Next March cut one in three stems
right
back, those that are twisted and dead too. I have once cut mine right
back - all of the branches - and it took all year to come up again. I
need mine for privacy and therefore it's no good to cut all the
branches off. Also I prune every 2 years. HTH

Thank you for your reply. I shall leave it a year then and do what you
say next March.

Or you could do like me, and attack random bits of it with the
chainsaw every 5 years or so. It gets quite large, but the whole
exterior still has the red stems so it is still showy in winter.
Additionally you get pretty white flowers (like C. contraversa)
and berries too.

Really I only cut it back when it starts taking over the path.
Just planted 'Elegantissima', I plan to let it go also. Of course
all this presumes space to spare.

-E

--
Emery Davis