Old 28-04-2006, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default Cornus Alba - to prune or not to prune

Zarch wrote:
Having cut mine back last month i took some of the larger cuttings and
just shoved them in the ground hoping they'd take. its looking good so
far as none of them look in too bad shape.
Is this the correct way to take cuttings and make new plants?
or have i been naivley lucky?

Funny you should say that because when I cut some of mine off, I proped
them against the fence resting on the soil, so that I would still keep
the privacy from the street I want and a few took. However, ideally
soft wood should be taken in the summer and hard wood in late winter,
as far as cornus is concerned.

Should i leave them where they are? or do something else to keep them
going?

Depends how big they are and where they are. I'd live them if they are
in the right place. My kids are forever breaking bits of plants
throughout the year with their football, the dogs break branches off
etc. and I just trim the broken cuttings and shove them in a
wheelbarrow filled with compost, regardless of the time of year. I just
can't throw anything away. Once the plants are strong, I move them out
of it. If you're happy where they are, just enjoy and concider yourself
lucky indeed )