Old 29-04-2006, 12:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
- Tom -

Default Grass under fence....

"Dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Someone said to me to spray glyphosphate on a straight line below the
(cedar wood) fence we have, to kill the grass there and make a small
border. Its a pain to strim the grass, I keep ripping off parts of the
fence surface.

Tips and alternatives welcomed here. Fence is around 300' long around
the whole yard.

Thanks

Dean

If I had a 300' cedar fence, hell, *any* 300' wood fence, I wouldn't
spoil the appearance by leaving a dead patch under it. Yes, it'll reduce the
strimming but it'll look bad. Too, weeds will germinate and thank you for
the opportunity to grow without the need to compete with the grass for the
sunlight.
Instead, try a bit of soil sterilant at the base of each post. The
resulting dead patch will harbor no plants for several months but might have
a tendency to expand as ground water moves through the soil. Don't apply it
within the root zone of any desirable plants. Prometon (spray) or Bromacil
(granular) are options.
http://www.interstateproducts.com/to...herbicides.htm
http://www.interstateproducts.com/we..._sterilent.htm

Tip: Cut around the posts (and sapling bark) with the trimmer at a
slower engine speed. A trimmer doesn't always need to be run at full speed
to be effective.

Tom