Old 29-04-2006, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default options to screen out fence and annoying neighbours!

KC wrote:
Hi

I am fairly new to the garden, I have an east facing 4ft fence with my
neighbours. During the summer the neigbours children (little monsters!)
always disrupt my BBQs by sticking their head through the fence and
being a general nuisance

Is there anything i can grow that can block this fence and possibly
grow higher? Are climbers a good idea?

Have you tried just having a word with the parents and asking them to
ensure that the children respect your right to privacy when you're in
your garden? That seems to me to be the first step but if you've
already tried that, then grow something in front of the fence that is
either prickly or fairly dense. For once in my life - and I feel faint
as I say it - this may be a case for a well kept leylandii hedge. Trim
it at about 6' and keep it narrow, too.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk