Old 28-04-2006, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
KC

Default options to screen out fence and annoying neighbours!

Hi

I am fairly new to the garden, I have an east facing 4ft fence with my
neighbours. During the summer the neigbours children (little monsters!)
always disrupt my BBQs by sticking their head through the fence and
being a general nuisance

Is there anything i can grow that can block this fence and possibly
grow higher? Are climbers a good idea?

Help!!

KC

Old 28-04-2006, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Me here

"KC" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

I am fairly new to the garden, I have an east facing 4ft fence with my
neighbours. During the summer the neigbours children (little monsters!)
always disrupt my BBQs by sticking their head through the fence and
being a general nuisance

Is there anything i can grow that can block this fence and possibly
grow higher? Are climbers a good idea?

Stinging nettles are a good stopper.
Alternatively erect another screen, such as a trellis about a meter in from
the original fence and grow some trailing plants up it.
Failing that tell their parents to control the little bast**ds or you'll
chop off the next head that appears and ****es you off.

Old 28-04-2006, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bevan Price

"KC" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

I am fairly new to the garden, I have an east facing 4ft fence with my
neighbours. During the summer the neigbours children (little monsters!)
always disrupt my BBQs by sticking their head through the fence and
being a general nuisance

Is there anything i can grow that can block this fence and possibly
grow higher? Are climbers a good idea?

Nice prickly plants and shrubs - climbing roses, berberis, holly, for
example. Holly will grow into a tree, so you will need to prune it yearly if
you want to keep it to hedge-size.

Bevan

Old 28-04-2006, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Draven

"KC" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

I am fairly new to the garden, I have an east facing 4ft fence with my
neighbours. During the summer the neigbours children (little monsters!)
always disrupt my BBQs by sticking their head through the fence and
being a general nuisance

Is there anything i can grow that can block this fence and possibly
grow higher? Are climbers a good idea?

Help!!

KC

Have you got any children of your own?

Old 29-04-2006, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Adebisi

"KC" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

I am fairly new to the garden, I have an east facing 4ft fence with my
neighbours. During the summer the neigbours children (little monsters!)
always disrupt my BBQs by sticking their head through the fence and
being a general nuisance

Is there anything i can grow that can block this fence and possibly
grow higher? Are climbers a good idea?

Help!!

KC

Have you tried an electric fence? I did last year worked really well.

Old 29-04-2006, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"KC" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

I am fairly new to the garden, I have an east facing 4ft fence with my
neighbours. During the summer the neigbours children (little monsters!)
always disrupt my BBQs by sticking their head through the fence and
being a general nuisance

I wonder if you have, or ever have had, children!

Alan

Old 29-04-2006, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message .com
from "KC" contains these words:

. During the summer the neigbours children (little monsters!)
always disrupt my BBQs by sticking their head through the fence and
being a general nuisance

I'm sure you want the garden to look its best for the barbie. So
immediately beforehand, you might want to touch up the paint on the
fence.

I like that!

Alan

Old 29-04-2006, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Alan Holmes" writes:

| I am fairly new to the garden, I have an east facing 4ft fence with my
| neighbours. During the summer the neigbours children (little monsters!)
| always disrupt my BBQs by sticking their head through the fence and
| being a general nuisance
|
| I wonder if you have, or ever have had, children!

Barbequed? Delicious.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-04-2006, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Alan Holmes" writes:

| I am fairly new to the garden, I have an east facing 4ft fence with

my
| neighbours. During the summer the neigbours children (little

monsters!)
| always disrupt my BBQs by sticking their head through the fence and
| being a general nuisance
|
| I wonder if you have, or ever have had, children!

Barbequed? Delicious.

Not a whole one ;-(

Mike
www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 29-04-2006, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

KC wrote:
Hi

I am fairly new to the garden, I have an east facing 4ft fence with my
neighbours. During the summer the neigbours children (little monsters!)
always disrupt my BBQs by sticking their head through the fence and
being a general nuisance

Is there anything i can grow that can block this fence and possibly
grow higher? Are climbers a good idea?

Have you tried just having a word with the parents and asking them to
ensure that the children respect your right to privacy when you're in
your garden? That seems to me to be the first step but if you've
already tried that, then grow something in front of the fence that is
either prickly or fairly dense. For once in my life - and I feel faint
as I say it - this may be a case for a well kept leylandii hedge. Trim
it at about 6' and keep it narrow, too.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-04-2006, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Sacha" wrote in message
ups.com...

KC wrote:
[...]

Just for one very very brief nanosecond I just thought you were going to
recommend Hog Weed thingy:-)
I must admit I am surprised that no one has suggested inviting the
neighbours and their kids.