Old 29-04-2006, 04:07 PM posted to rec.ponds
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default Bare Root Lilies

You may need more fish than that.

Jim

--
See our pond at: home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/pwp-jameshurley
Ask me about Jog A Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"Hal" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 16:41:03 GMT, CanadianPonderŠ
wrote:

Has anybody had success putting in their lilies bare root in your pond ?
I think it was Derek who suggested it. My lilies are coming in soon and
I am still debating on this. I love the advantages of not having to pot
these things but I don't see any mention of bare root lilies in ponds
anywhere on the web. There has to be a payoff somewhere going bare root.

I tried this once before and had fish in the pond with them and the
fish ate every new sprout until I rescued the lilies and potted them
again. I'm trying it again this year in a new pond (Converted hot
tub) for lilies with only small goldfish for mosquito larvae control.
I have a small lily root weighted down with a brick. If it works
well, I'll remove the pot and brick several more next season.

I do fertilize with 15-30-15 so I expect the bare root to do well.

Regards,

Hal