Old 28-04-2006, 05:41 PM posted to rec.ponds
CanadianPonder©

Default Bare Root Lilies

Has anybody had success putting in their lilies bare root in your pond ?
I think it was Derek who suggested it. My lilies are coming in soon and
I am still debating on this. I love the advantages of not having to pot
these things but I don't see any mention of bare root lilies in ponds
anywhere on the web. There has to be a payoff somewhere going bare root.

Old 28-04-2006, 08:55 PM posted to rec.ponds

hi,
i have two that are "bareroot" due to the fact all the dirt washed out
of their pots sometime back. the rhizomes are about 6 years old, stuck
in their pots and don't float. they have flowered every year. if they
had died, i wouldn't have minded since i prefer hyacinthes, but they
are holding their own.
have to mention i'm a long time lurking reader of rec.ponds and enjoy
the group, despite the trolls.

Old 28-04-2006, 10:11 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

*Note: There are TWO "Koi-Lo's" on this NG*

"CanadianPonder©" wrote in message
Has anybody had success putting in their lilies bare root in your pond ?

Derek has good luck with bare root lilies. I can't even grow them in fine
gravel. To get nice leaves and flowers I have to use soil and fertilizer
sticks. I cover the soil with gravel. His water must contain something
mine doesn't. Or maybe the other pond plants I have use up the nutrients
the lilies need.

I think it was Derek who suggested it. My lilies are coming in soon and I
am still debating on this. I love the advantages of not having to pot
these things but I don't see any mention of bare root lilies in ponds
anywhere on the web. There has to be a payoff somewhere going bare root.

You can try just plain gravel......
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 29-04-2006, 02:54 AM posted to rec.ponds
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Some of ours were pulled from their rock-filled pans. They are bare root
below milk crates. They have thrived! Done better than their panned
peers. We are debating barerooting some more. Our pond is 24" deep and the
roots stable under the crated. They may have collected some muck in the
roots.

Jim

--
See our pond at: home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/pwp-jameshurley
Ask me about Jog A Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 29-04-2006, 02:45 PM posted to rec.ponds
Hal

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 16:41:03 GMT, CanadianPonder©
wrote:

Has anybody had success putting in their lilies bare root in your pond ?
I think it was Derek who suggested it. My lilies are coming in soon and
I am still debating on this. I love the advantages of not having to pot
these things but I don't see any mention of bare root lilies in ponds
anywhere on the web. There has to be a payoff somewhere going bare root.

I tried this once before and had fish in the pond with them and the
fish ate every new sprout until I rescued the lilies and potted them
again. I'm trying it again this year in a new pond (Converted hot
tub) for lilies with only small goldfish for mosquito larvae control.
I have a small lily root weighted down with a brick. If it works
well, I'll remove the pot and brick several more next season.

I do fertilize with 15-30-15 so I expect the bare root to do well.

Regards,

Hal

Old 29-04-2006, 04:23 PM posted to rec.ponds
CanadianCowboy©

Hal wrote:
I do fertilize with 15-30-15 so I expect the bare root to do well.

Regards,

Hal

How do you fertilize bare root ?
Old 30-04-2006, 04:06 PM posted to rec.ponds
Hal

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 11:23:14 -0400, CanadianCowboy©
wrote:

Hal wrote:
I do fertilize with 15-30-15 so I expect the bare root to do well.

Regards,

Hal

How do you fertilize bare root ?

Dump it in the pond. It's green already so what can a little
fertilizer without ammonia hurt?

Regards,

Hal
Old 30-04-2006, 05:50 PM posted to rec.ponds
J.D. Stone

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
CanadianPonder© wrote:

Has anybody had success putting in their lilies bare root in your pond ?
I think it was Derek who suggested it. My lilies are coming in soon and
I am still debating on this. I love the advantages of not having to pot
these things but I don't see any mention of bare root lilies in ponds
anywhere on the web. There has to be a payoff somewhere going bare root.

Just me :-)
--
derek

Not just Derek. My lilies are all are bare root in the pond ('course my pond
isn't as deep as Derek's but it works). Started as pots but I just let 'em
jump the pots.
JD
http://www2.itexas.net/jdstone/

Old 30-04-2006, 05:51 PM posted to rec.ponds
J.D. Stone

wrote:

Hal wrote:
I do fertilize with 15-30-15 so I expect the bare root to do well.

Regards,

Hal

How do you fertilize bare root ?

Dump it in the pond. It's green already so what can a little
fertilizer without ammonia hurt?

Regards,

Hal

It'll sure help keep it green!

Old 01-05-2006, 02:19 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

wrote:

Hal wrote:
I do fertilize with 15-30-15 so I expect the bare root to do well.

How do you fertilize bare root ?

Dump it in the pond. It's green already so what can a little
fertilizer without ammonia hurt?

It'll sure help keep it green!

If it was fertilizer without _nitrate_ (15-30-15 isn't), then it probably
wouldn't hurt. Algae requires only two of the three fertilizer
ingredients, so adding potassium (?? I hope I have that right - I forget
the contents of the FAQ I wrote...) helps other plants use up the nitrate.
--
derek
Old 02-05-2006, 01:25 PM posted to rec.ponds
Hal

On Mon, 01 May 2006 10:19:07 -0300, Derek Broughton
wrote:

If it was fertilizer without _nitrate_ (15-30-15 isn't), then it probably
wouldn't hurt. Algae requires only two of the three fertilizer
ingredients, so adding potassium (?? I hope I have that right - I forget
the contents of the FAQ I wrote...) helps other plants use up the nitrate.

I guess if it is bad advice, you shouldn't do it, but for the past
several years I've usually had to fertilize the water hyacinths to get
them to grow. I tried the potassium and that didn't produce the most
positive results, although I know you are right it takes potassium for
plants to be able to assimilate nitrates, and I think phosphates too.

Regards,

Hal

How To Deal With Low Budget Bare Root Roses Bob Bauer Roses 4 28-10-2009 12:34 AM
bare root lilies CanadianPonder© Ponds 4 03-04-2006 08:41 PM
How long can I hold bare root plants? Jefffooz Gardening 3 13-04-2004 09:02 AM
Annual Bare-root Phal Sale Kenni Judd Orchids 1 28-03-2003 09:20 PM
bare root question Jane Roses 6 19-03-2003 01:56 AM