Old 30-04-2006, 05:50 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bugalugs

Default Problems with String Trimmer

Emery Davis wrote:

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:59:50 GMT
Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

sherwindu wrote:

I just bought my first string trimmer and have had problems with the deployment
of the string. It is supposed to be an automatic deployment, but the string
seems to
get tangled, especially in taller grass, and deploys a large amount of string
and the
two strands get twisted together. Is there something I am doing to cause this,
or did
I just purchase a poorly designed trimmer?

Sherwin D.

In my limited experience, if you have a dual line trimmer, return it or
sell it in a garage sale. I HATED mine. I now have a single line B&D
that works well. Also, if you rewind your own line from bulk, do not
wind it tightly.

Carl

I used to have a Ryobi with a bump head to let line out. It worked
just fine, but basically after 5 years of heavy use the engine
died. I now use an Echo, with a manual feed line dispenser.
Just got done with the first use of it this year, about 2 hours
worth. It started on the second pull, and worked (as usual)
without a hitch. I had to let out line once during the session.
I use the heavy gauge star line, it holds up well even against
stone walls and around fence posts, or in brambles for that
matter.

These are both dual line machines, and I've never had a problem,
although there is the occasional headache of loading the head.

The Echo is certainly a very fine machine, and powerful too. I
sometimes use the blade for heavy brush cutting, but not often.

-E

I've tried the blade but was not realy impressed.

The plastic 'string' seems to wear out to quickly and needs frequent
feading out. With the blade giving mixed results I've often toyed with
the idea of using a lenght of steel fishing trace. You'd need to put on
full combat gear and declare a 100 mile no-go zone, but it should get
the job done.