Old 29-04-2006, 07:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

Default Problems with String Trimmer

I just bought my first string trimmer and have had problems with the deployment
of the string. It is supposed to be an automatic deployment, but the string
seems to
get tangled, especially in taller grass, and deploys a large amount of string
and the
two strands get twisted together. Is there something I am doing to cause this,
or did
I just purchase a poorly designed trimmer?

Sherwin D.

Old 29-04-2006, 02:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

sherwindu wrote:
I just bought my first string trimmer and have had problems with the deployment
of the string. It is supposed to be an automatic deployment, but the string
seems to
get tangled, especially in taller grass, and deploys a large amount of string
and the
two strands get twisted together. Is there something I am doing to cause this,
or did
I just purchase a poorly designed trimmer?

Sherwin D.

Likely it is just a poorly designed trimmer. One thing that could be
causing the problem (not likely since you just bought it) is that you
are using the wrong size string.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening Since 1969

Old 29-04-2006, 03:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"sherwindu" wrote in message
I just bought my first string trimmer and have had problems with the
deployment
of the string. It is supposed to be an automatic deployment, but the
string
seems to
get tangled, especially in taller grass, and deploys a large amount of
string
and the
two strands get twisted together. Is there something I am doing to cause
this,
or did
I just purchase a poorly designed trimmer?

Sherwin D.

I've wanted a string trimmer for quite some time. Then, I read things like
this, which reminds me that these things were invented by Satan. :-)

Old 29-04-2006, 04:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

sherwindu wrote:

I just bought my first string trimmer and have had problems with the deployment
of the string. It is supposed to be an automatic deployment, but the string
seems to
get tangled, especially in taller grass, and deploys a large amount of string
and the
two strands get twisted together. Is there something I am doing to cause this,
or did
I just purchase a poorly designed trimmer?

Sherwin D.

In my limited experience, if you have a dual line trimmer, return it or
sell it in a garage sale. I HATED mine. I now have a single line B&D
that works well. Also, if you rewind your own line from bulk, do not
wind it tightly.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 29-04-2006, 07:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:59:50 GMT
Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

sherwindu wrote:

I just bought my first string trimmer and have had problems with the deployment
of the string. It is supposed to be an automatic deployment, but the string
seems to
get tangled, especially in taller grass, and deploys a large amount of string
and the
two strands get twisted together. Is there something I am doing to cause this,
or did
I just purchase a poorly designed trimmer?

Sherwin D.

In my limited experience, if you have a dual line trimmer, return it or
sell it in a garage sale. I HATED mine. I now have a single line B&D
that works well. Also, if you rewind your own line from bulk, do not
wind it tightly.

Carl

I used to have a Ryobi with a bump head to let line out. It worked
just fine, but basically after 5 years of heavy use the engine
died. I now use an Echo, with a manual feed line dispenser.
Just got done with the first use of it this year, about 2 hours
worth. It started on the second pull, and worked (as usual)
without a hitch. I had to let out line once during the session.
I use the heavy gauge star line, it holds up well even against
stone walls and around fence posts, or in brambles for that
matter.

These are both dual line machines, and I've never had a problem,
although there is the occasional headache of loading the head.

The Echo is certainly a very fine machine, and powerful too. I
sometimes use the blade for heavy brush cutting, but not often.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 30-04-2006, 04:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
D.Reid

Ryobi used to be a good machine. Not anymore. Echo is my next
choice...CHA-CHING!!!
It seems that people are willing to my $$$ for less hassell and heartache
these days...brands that used to be good are crap now. Go figure.

Dave...down in Florida

Old 30-04-2006, 05:50 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bugalugs

Emery Davis wrote:

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:59:50 GMT
Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

sherwindu wrote:

[...]

I've tried the blade but was not realy impressed.

The plastic 'string' seems to wear out to quickly and needs frequent
feading out. With the blade giving mixed results I've often toyed with
the idea of using a lenght of steel fishing trace. You'd need to put on
full combat gear and declare a 100 mile no-go zone, but it should get
the job done.
Old 30-04-2006, 10:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ron Hardin

I use an insanely sharp scythe for the whole lawn as well as trimming.

It has to be a hobby to do the whole lawn with one, but trimming is
not out of the question, except they're kind of expensive.

www.scythesupply.com has the right kind but the ``kit'' will run
you something under $200.

Get the large anvil and cross peen hammer and fine stone (you see
complications already coming up) so that peening leaves the blade
sharp rather than, like the jig, dull. Peen excessively, for grass,
is the secret, and hone often.

It's not like there's a rush. You're out of the house because you
want to be out of the house.

--
Ron Hardin

Old 30-04-2006, 11:51 AM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 16:50:54 +1200
Bugalugs ! wrote:

Emery Davis wrote:

[]
The Echo is certainly a very fine machine, and powerful too. I
sometimes use the blade for heavy brush cutting, but not often.

-E

I've tried the blade but was not realy impressed.

The plastic 'string' seems to wear out to quickly and needs frequent
feading out. With the blade giving mixed results I've often toyed with
the idea of using a lenght of steel fishing trace. You'd need to put on
full combat gear and declare a 100 mile no-go zone, but it should get
the job done.

I don't use the blade very often either. Not sure I used it all last year,
in fact.

Sounds like you're using light line. It comes in different diameters,
I believe the starline I use is 3 mm. It really doesn't wear out all
that fast.

They make line -- can't remember the name -- with a steel wire
running inside the plastic. I tried it but actually found it wore out
faster than the starline. And of course because it doesn't have
the star shaped cross-section, it cut a little less clean. So I've
still got the reel of it around somewhere.

I like the idea of tougher line, but really you want the line to break
if it hits something too hard, not dig into brick or whatever.
Not to mention the no-go zone!

I never used protective clothing with the Ryobi (which was no
doubt very foolish) but the Echo is too powerful not to. Even
with my work suit I've gotten some cuts on the arms from
errant pebbles. So, no steel line for me, thanks!

-E

Old 30-04-2006, 02:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mel M Kelly

I have a dual feed automatic Stehil and it works great as long as I
don't try to run the string too long.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 30-04-2006, 08:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
tom Jaszewski

Consider it punishment for your usually skewed perspectives...