Old 30-04-2006, 06:47 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage

Default Transplanting Camellias

writes:
On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 17:44:21 +1000, "Geoff & Heather" wrote:

Has anyone had any success transplanting camellias ? We are in the Hunter
valley and have a three year old plant we want to move - any suggestions?

[Good advice snipped]

Wait until early July.

If it was me I think I'd be inclined to snip off two thirds of its mature
leaves, one by one, so it loses a lot less moisture after the move. The
Aug/Sept winds can be very drying. I wouldn't touch the new leaves near
the tips of each branch though. I had good intentions of moving a 6' high
camellia once, but after nearly digging to China found its roots just went
on and on and the hole was becoming big enough for a swimming pool!