Old 30-04-2006, 11:51 AM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

Default Problems with String Trimmer

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 16:50:54 +1200
Bugalugs ! wrote:

Emery Davis wrote:

[]
The Echo is certainly a very fine machine, and powerful too. I
sometimes use the blade for heavy brush cutting, but not often.

-E

I've tried the blade but was not realy impressed.

The plastic 'string' seems to wear out to quickly and needs frequent
feading out. With the blade giving mixed results I've often toyed with
the idea of using a lenght of steel fishing trace. You'd need to put on
full combat gear and declare a 100 mile no-go zone, but it should get
the job done.

I don't use the blade very often either. Not sure I used it all last year,
in fact.

Sounds like you're using light line. It comes in different diameters,
I believe the starline I use is 3 mm. It really doesn't wear out all
that fast.

They make line -- can't remember the name -- with a steel wire
running inside the plastic. I tried it but actually found it wore out
faster than the starline. And of course because it doesn't have
the star shaped cross-section, it cut a little less clean. So I've
still got the reel of it around somewhere.

I like the idea of tougher line, but really you want the line to break
if it hits something too hard, not dig into brick or whatever.
Not to mention the no-go zone!

I never used protective clothing with the Ryobi (which was no
doubt very foolish) but the Echo is too powerful not to. Even
with my work suit I've gotten some cuts on the arms from
errant pebbles. So, no steel line for me, thanks!

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom