Old 30-04-2006, 06:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank

Default Groundhog problems...

wrote:
Sounds like trap and release is the suggested method.

.22 is out - not legal.

I had a friend that used the drowning method on rats that ended up in
his trap. They were a lot smaller than groundhogs.... The truth is
that drowning gives me the creeps more than a quick headshot....

I feel the same way. I like to hunt but don't kill non-game animals
and don't like to see them suffer. I have taken a couple of groundhogs
while bow hunting for deer. Ate a small one - tasted like chicken.
Larger one actually bit my foot as I was retrieving arrow. Fortunately
boot leather was not pierced. I mention this because trapped animals
can get very nasty. I've transported squirrels, groundhogs, possums
and raccoons to park. Some are docile but others are in a frenzy.
Keep them in trap in trunk - just imagine what would happen if they got
loose in the car

Frank