Old 30-04-2006, 12:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank

Default Groundhog problems...

I use Hav-a-hart and transport to park. Transporting in trunk of car,
you will probably not be caught, and I cannot imagine getting into
serious trouble if caught.

One of my neighbors traps them but puts trap in garbage can and drowns
them. Another neighbor shoots with his .22.

Old 30-04-2006, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sounds like trap and release is the suggested method.

..22 is out - not legal.

I had a friend that used the drowning method on rats that ended up in
his trap. They were a lot smaller than groundhogs.... The truth is
that drowning gives me the creeps more than a quick headshot....

Old 30-04-2006, 03:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma

"Frank" wrote in
ups.com:

I use Hav-a-hart and transport to park. Transporting in
trunk of car, you will probably not be caught, and I cannot
imagine getting into serious trouble if caught.

hefty fine. seriously, no one wants you freaking problem
foisted off on them. if you think they are a pest in your
yard, why do you want to move them to someone elses property?
just kill it & be done with it.

One of my neighbors traps them but puts trap in garbage can
and drowns them. Another neighbor shoots with his .22.

that's the sensible solution. even in a suburb i don't see
why a point blank shot to the head of a trapped groundhog
would be illegal. it's not like you're shooting into the air.
i know guns are illegal in NYC, and shooting within X yards of
a dwelling, but you would be shooting down towards the ground.
it's not like you could accidentally hit something besides the
trapped groundhog. i'd discuss that option with the local PD &
animal control.
lee

--
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the
guise of
Old 01-05-2006, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma

wrote in
oups.com:

Sounds like trap and release is the suggested method.

NO!!!!! trap & release is not suggested (except by complete
idiots that know nothing about wildlife).
first, if you don't want it, then no one else wants the
problem either.
second, trap & release is a slow death to the animal, who will
be in a strange location & need to dig a burrow/find a home,
won't know where food is & will likely have to fight a
resident animal for it anyway.
third, you don't know what diseases the animal may be a
carrier of & you will be transporting those diseases to a new
area, where the local population may not have immunity.
there are *reasons* trap & release elsewhere are illegal &
carry fines.
just shoot the trapped animal in the head, pointblank, with
an air rifle & long point.

.22 is out - not legal.

fine, use an air rifle. i've used one on a fox. they aren't
tougher than groundhogs.

I had a friend that used the drowning method on rats that
ended up in his trap. They were a lot smaller than
groundhogs.... The truth is that drowning gives me the
creeps more than a quick headshot....

it's less humane than a headshot. besides, do you have a
bucket big enough to get the entire live trap submerged?

lee

Old 01-05-2006, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

You and I are on the same wavelength about trap/release - hence my
questions.

I think air rifle is the way to go.

Drowning -- a garbage pail is what I had in mind, not a bucket.

Thanks!

enigma wrote:
wrote in
oups.com:

Old 01-05-2006, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank

I often tell folks that I transport the groundhogs to more affluent
neighborhoods where they will be better off
Frank

Old 01-05-2006, 08:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

I heard a story about a guy that spraypainted the critters he caught
with funky colors before dropping them off in more affluent
neighborhoods.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
TomC

From a personal experience: I put a trap out in the morning and when I came
home after work; the captured groundhog was dead. The trap was in the sun
and the g'hog couldn't take the heat. Maybe, that's why they live in those
nice cool tunnels.... :-b

enigma wrote in article
.. .
wrote in
oups.com:

You and I are on the same wavelength about trap/release -
hence my questions.

I think air rifle is the way to go.

oh, good. i know that trap & release *sounds* like it's
humane, but it's really not.

Drowning -- a garbage pail is what I had in mind, not a
bucket.

how big is your trap? my bigger Hav-a-Hart won't completely
fit in a normal size garbage pail. it'd fit a small coyote
though, so it's pretty big for groundhogs.
drowning is fairly quick, but i don't like doing it.
lee

Old 02-05-2006, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Rabid Groundhogs are dangerous. I'll shot it instead of drown it.
Thanks for asking:-)

[IMG] code is On

groundhog problems OhioGuy Gardening 16 05-10-2009 02:04 PM
Groundhog problems... [email protected] Gardening 2 01-05-2006 04:28 AM
Groundhog problems... Johnny Borborigmi Gardening 0 30-04-2006 12:14 PM
Groundhog problems... Loki Gardening 2 30-04-2006 06:26 AM
A good groundhog is a dead groundhog Boboed Gardening 2 03-02-2005 04:52 AM