Old 30-04-2006, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Default 2 colourful types between 2 and 3 foot tall

"nrgsav" wrote
I am looking for two or three types of flowers to plant which will
provide me with a mass of colour. One i would like to spread out and
fill an area but also stand about 2 feet high. The other I would like
to see standing prominently above this and holding a different colour
possibly on stalks.

For flower power I'd choose Penstemons - they go on for months with a
bit of regular dead-heading. You could plant in groups to cover the area
you want and include your pick of the various shades of white, pink,
red, purple, and mauvey blue. Behind those maybe some white Cosmos and
Echinops ritro with tall stems and round blue drumstick type flower
heads which butterflies love. Birds will come for its seed heads later
in the year if you leave them standing.

As usual it all depends on soil and how much sun.

--
Sue