Old 29-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Registered User

Default 2 colourful types between 2 and 3 foot tall

Hi I am new here so i would like to take the opportunity to say hi and also how wonderful it is to disover this kind of discussion available on the internet!

I have set aside a part of my garden which is just in view from the kitchen window and would like to add some colour, hopefully you can help.

I am looking for two or three types of flowers to plant which will provide me with a mass of colour. One i would like to spread out and fill an area but also stand about 2 feet high. The other I would like to see standing prominently above this and holding a different colour possibly on stalks.

Can you suggest anything for me?

With thanks.

Rob
Old 30-04-2006, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

nrgsav wrote:
Hi I am new here so i would like to take the opportunity to say hi and
also how wonderful it is to disover this kind of discussion available
on the internet!

I have set aside a part of my garden which is just in view from the
kitchen window and would like to add some colour, hopefully you can
help.

I am looking for two or three types of flowers to plant which will
provide me with a mass of colour. One i would like to spread out and
fill an area but also stand about 2 feet high. The other I would like
to see standing prominently above this and holding a different colour
possibly on stalks.

Can you suggest anything for me?

With thanks.

Lavender, rosemary, Gaura, Knautica macedonica, Verbena bonariensis,
Astrantia and for *real* height, Cephalaria gigantea!

Old 30-04-2006, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

--
nrgsav

There are so many choices and only you know your favourite colours and soil
conditions.
For the height things (on a stalk) I like Eupatoriums and Thalictrums
available in several colours.
You could have a crack at using this link:-
http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantselector/default.aspx

Old 30-04-2006, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"nrgsav" wrote
I am looking for two or three types of flowers to plant which will
provide me with a mass of colour. One i would like to spread out and
fill an area but also stand about 2 feet high. The other I would like
to see standing prominently above this and holding a different colour
possibly on stalks.

For flower power I'd choose Penstemons - they go on for months with a
bit of regular dead-heading. You could plant in groups to cover the area
you want and include your pick of the various shades of white, pink,
red, purple, and mauvey blue. Behind those maybe some white Cosmos and
Echinops ritro with tall stems and round blue drumstick type flower
heads which butterflies love. Birds will come for its seed heads later
in the year if you leave them standing.

As usual it all depends on soil and how much sun.

--
Sue

Old 30-04-2006, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ews.net,
"Sue" writes:

| For flower power I'd choose Penstemons - they go on for months with a
| bit of regular dead-heading. You could plant in groups to cover the area
| you want and include your pick of the various shades of white, pink,
| red, purple, and mauvey blue. Behind those maybe some white Cosmos and
| Echinops ritro with tall stems and round blue drumstick type flower
| heads which butterflies love. Birds will come for its seed heads later
| in the year if you leave them standing.

Watch out for Echinops ritro. There are two common varieties: a large
one (6'+) with mediocre colour, and a smaller one (still 5'+) with
much better colour. And, once you have them, they are the devil to
remove - they will regrow from roots 2' down.

| As usual it all depends on soil and how much sun.

Yup.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.