Old 30-04-2006, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Default Sparse flowering Bergenia

"Chris Hogg" wrote
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 19:42:14 +0100, "Sue"
wrote:

What does the panel think is the secret of getting shy-to-flower
Bergenias to perform?

snip

When did you last divide it? IME they can get old and tired,
especially in the centre. Dig it up; chop off chunks from around the
edge with a sharp knife or spade, and replant them, discarding the old
bit in the middle. They're almost indestructible BTW, so you won't
lose it. Mine have even survived a cycle through the (cold) compost
heap and come again!

It's a small variety and doesn't seem to spread very quickly. It did get
halved when I remade the border a few years back and has now spread and
met up again, but has never seemed to flower much at all. I think I'll
take some divisions and try them in different places but if it doesn't
buck its ideas up soon it'll be out!

--
Sue