Old 30-04-2006, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default 2 colourful types between 2 and 3 foot tall

In article ews.net,
"Sue" writes:

| For flower power I'd choose Penstemons - they go on for months with a
| bit of regular dead-heading. You could plant in groups to cover the area
| you want and include your pick of the various shades of white, pink,
| red, purple, and mauvey blue. Behind those maybe some white Cosmos and
| Echinops ritro with tall stems and round blue drumstick type flower
| heads which butterflies love. Birds will come for its seed heads later
| in the year if you leave them standing.

Watch out for Echinops ritro. There are two common varieties: a large
one (6'+) with mediocre colour, and a smaller one (still 5'+) with
much better colour. And, once you have them, they are the devil to
remove - they will regrow from roots 2' down.

| As usual it all depends on soil and how much sun.

Yup.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.