Old 01-05-2006, 07:46 PM
godwin godwin is offline
Registered User

Location: Busselton WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff & Heather
Has anyone had any success transplanting camellias ? We are in the Hunter
valley and have a three year old plant we want to move - any suggestions?
Geoff & Heather
A three year old plant can be a lot of different sizes depending on the species and the gardener :-) But it makes no difference really, camelias are easy to move Ive never had one die on me. starting at the base of the plant remove any foliage you dont need. My prejudices are to encourage camelias to be the smallish under story tree they want to be. Note they flower in winter because that's when they get the sun as the deciduous trees around them are nude.

Next dig a trench around the outside, first work your way around the tree cutting a sharp circle with a spade, then dig the trench around the outside of that. You'll have to judge how much rootball you'll be able to move, don't be overly optimistic.

then work your way under the tree, but before you move it have the next hole ready of course :-) And before you do any of the above, feed it up well so that it has plenty of food to draw on when re-establishing itself. a good reasonably strong soluble fertilizer is what you need. Water in well but only once, you dont want to encourage rot, though this is not likely.

Fortunately this is the perfect time to do the job, as the ground is still warm and the weather not too hot.

Go Well godwin