Old 01-05-2006, 03:34 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Default How to trace leak

On 30 Apr 2006 18:00:24 -0700, wrote:

Last year I moved into a house which has a koi pond. I had no problems
with the pond last year. This year I am getting a slow leak. I can't
seem to find out where the water is going. I have checked around the
pond and I can't find a wet area which would indicate that the water is
spilling over to that area.

I have a pond which has a sump at one end. The water flows into the
sump and then a pump pumps it up to another sump which when it
overflows allows the water to move down a waterfall. I have filled up
both sumps and checked to make sure the water is not leaking from any
of the connections on the pump.

If I fill the pond and lower sump but I do not turn the pump on the
water level remains constant. It is only when the pump is turned on
that the water level drops, about 1" per hour.

As I have said I checked the ground between the two sumps and it is dry
when the pump is working. I have checked the ground on either side of
the waterfall and it is dry.

The only thing I can think of doing is buying a seperate hose to hook
up to the pump bypassing the upper sump. I was going to move it slowly
up the waterfall to see at what point the water in the pond starts to
drop. Just below that point I guess I have a leak.
Alex

Sounds like you've got a good plan. In the waterfall, if loose rock, look
for areas of wicking by any plants or dirt moved under rocks. That is my
biggest problem, moisture loving bugs/worms, that move dirt closer & closer
till it meets water and then wicking sucks water out. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a