Old 01-05-2006, 02:00 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default How to trace leak

Help,

Last year I moved into a house which has a koi pond. I had no problems
with the pond last year. This year I am getting a slow leak. I can't
seem to find out where the water is going. I have checked around the
pond and I can't find a wet area which would indicate that the water is
spilling over to that area.

I have a pond which has a sump at one end. The water flows into the
sump and then a pump pumps it up to another sump which when it
overflows allows the water to move down a waterfall. I have filled up
both sumps and checked to make sure the water is not leaking from any
of the connections on the pump.

If I fill the pond and lower sump but I do not turn the pump on the
water level remains constant. It is only when the pump is turned on
that the water level drops, about 1" per hour.

As I have said I checked the ground between the two sumps and it is dry
when the pump is working. I have checked the ground on either side of
the waterfall and it is dry.

The only thing I can think of doing is buying a seperate hose to hook
up to the pump bypassing the upper sump. I was going to move it slowly
up the waterfall to see at what point the water in the pond starts to
drop. Just below that point I guess I have a leak.

Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks

Alex

Old 01-05-2006, 02:14 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Check your water falls very very carefully.......If not water is being
pumped to it, and the pond level remains fine, it has to be in the
waterfalls plumbing or the stream / spillway etc....
If yu do not have any fish in it, you can simly let the pumps off and
if it has a leak in one of the sumps or the pond area itself it will
leak down and then stop at the point of the leak.........Odds are its
in the water fall somewhere, as they are very prone at leaking and
being the culprit most of the time.

On 30 Apr 2006 18:00:24 -0700, wrote:
[...]

Frugal ponding since 1982.
Aquariums since 1956.
Some assholes Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
*Note: There are several *Koi-Lo's* on rec.ponds.
But, I am the one and only original Koi-Lo.
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o
Old 01-05-2006, 04:08 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

wrote in message
oups.com...

As I have said I checked the ground between the two sumps and it is dry
when the pump is working. I have checked the ground on either side of
the waterfall and it is dry.

============================
*Note: There are TWO "Koi-Lo's" on this NG*

Is it possible there's a leak in the sump itself?

We just had to buy an new $100 liner today for one of my 680g tanks because
there's a leak we can't find either. In my case I believe something small
and sharp pierced the tarp, thin plastic tank bottom and inner plastic
(shipping) liner. It's losing 1 1/2" to 2" a day. And we're right in the
middle of repairing the berm on the 800g inground pond out front......
*sigh* ..... it rained us out today.

Please let me know if you do find the leak and where it was. Good luck.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 01-05-2006, 03:34 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

[...]

Sounds like you've got a good plan. In the waterfall, if loose rock, look
for areas of wicking by any plants or dirt moved under rocks. That is my
biggest problem, moisture loving bugs/worms, that move dirt closer & closer
till it meets water and then wicking sucks water out. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a