Old 02-05-2006, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default using slug pellets on veg patch?

La Puce wrote:
H Ryder wrote:
Do you find it works?

haven't actually tried it here this year yet but it certainly worked
previously on my heavy, sodden clay in Cheshire. I was under the impression
that slug pellets left poisonous slug remains which killed birds and frogs
etc which I wanted to avoid so, after trying and giving up on all the
various "safe to other wildlife barrier" methods, I tried nemoslug and found
it worked well, even when applied at slightly less than the recommended
rate. I also found that it seemed to last longer than 6 weeks.

I'm waiting for my nematodes (megatoads as my son call them) to arrive.
I thought it only worked on baby slugs not the adult ones?! Also
there's two applications and the Organic Catalogue will dispatch the
first lots and 6 weeks later the second lots so that I don't use it all
at once. I thought that was really considerate of them )

I also thought some slug pellets are only ferrous phosphate and that it
breaks down to iron and phosphate nutrients in the soil?! Are they not?!

I use aluminium sulphate ones and you can get ferrous phosphate. These
work for me and are hopefully fairly harmless but I still use them in
small amounts and not near vegetables. The blue ones are metaldehyde
and possibly much more toxic but I do not actually know. I do not use
them anyway.

Des in slug ridden Dublin