Old 02-05-2006, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david taylor

Default keeping the cat off the seed beds ??

Some of the cat repellant pellets (Puss Off) have a citrus scent similar to
Jif. Our cat used to smell them out of interest so I can believe anyone who
says Jif is not necessarily effective.
Chilli powder or Cayenne pepper works, my grandmother used to use it, and I
have used it to protect a newly sown lawn and bird food from squirrels.
You have to find a cheap source. (Asian Emporium)
Another treatment-but you may not consider it natural- is to put small jars
containing ammonia around the area to be protected.
A water on treatment based on Ammonium Alum will be a slow release agent for
ammonia and could be purchased under the name of Scent Off. This is claimed
to work for a range of animals and seemed to be effective on an allotment I
had adjacent to open country where an unknown culprit (not pigeon) either
rabbit or partridge) was eating brassicas.
Regards
David Taylor
"Brian Watson" wrote in message

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Brian Watson
wrote

So are there any ways I can keep her away from the seed beds.

Squirt a Jif lemon about.

Urban Myth - it doesn't work

It does in my garden. The cats walk on the paths because I only spray
around the plants.

--
Brian