Old 03-05-2006, 12:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Default my paph malipoense is in spike again!

Burr,

Each growth will spike only once, so first one needs to wait for a new
growth to mature. And then one looks in the crown of the new growth, and the
new spike will indeed look like a double leaf.

Even though I do have some Paphs that have reflowered for me, I too find
them not as easy to get to reflower as my Phals. Most of my Phals spike at
least once a year or even twice, whereas only one of my Paph's is a reliable
bloomer: Paph. Deception II (Paph. niveum 'Snowball' HCC/AOS x Paph.
delenatii 'Angel') -- this one reflowers twice a year for me. My
understanding is that Paphs are more variable than Phals, in that not all
Paphs are equally easy/difficult to get to reflower (?), whereas with most
(though not all) Phals, if one can get one to reflower, once most likely can
get most of them to reflower. Which paph do you have?

Good luck with your paph!

Joanna

wrote in message
Congratulations. I have several phals. and one pagh. My phals.
seem to be doing ok after I fertilized them but my slipper hasn't
rebloomed. How do you know when it's going to put out a spike?
Something about a double leaf? When it comes to phals. it easy but how
can you tell with slippers? Thanks for any help.........Burr