Old 29-04-2006, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Default my paph malipoense is in spike again!

I just noticed (while moving my orchids to make room for the two new ones):
My paph malipoense is in spike again! So about 5-6 months from now I will
have a malipoense flower, yay. I got it in spike in 9/2004 and it flowered
in 2/2005. I am so glad that it is respiking, since a comment someone made
had caused me to think that malipoense are harder to get to rebloom than
most paphs, but I guess it's ok. :-) I think it likes the high light
location that it has, unlike the other paphs it seems to desire more light.

Joanna

Old 03-05-2006, 05:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Congratulations. I have several phals. and one pagh. My phals.
seem to be doing ok after I fertilized them but my slipper hasn't
rebloomed. How do you know when it's going to put out a spike?
Something about a double leaf? When it comes to phals. it easy but how
can you tell with slippers? Thanks for any help.........Burr

Old 03-05-2006, 12:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Burr,

Each growth will spike only once, so first one needs to wait for a new
growth to mature. And then one looks in the crown of the new growth, and the
new spike will indeed look like a double leaf.

Even though I do have some Paphs that have reflowered for me, I too find
them not as easy to get to reflower as my Phals. Most of my Phals spike at
least once a year or even twice, whereas only one of my Paph's is a reliable
bloomer: Paph. Deception II (Paph. niveum 'Snowball' HCC/AOS x Paph.
delenatii 'Angel') -- this one reflowers twice a year for me. My
understanding is that Paphs are more variable than Phals, in that not all
Paphs are equally easy/difficult to get to reflower (?), whereas with most
(though not all) Phals, if one can get one to reflower, once most likely can
get most of them to reflower. Which paph do you have?

Good luck with your paph!

Joanna

Old 03-05-2006, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

After a plant blooms can you just bring it inside? What does one need
to do to maintain the plant yet enjoy the flower?
Joe T

Old 03-05-2006, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Joe T,

Is your question still on the subject of paphs? So, after a paph blooms ...?

I just tend to treat Paphs the same way that I treat the Phals, and I treat
them the same whether they are in bloom or not. And sometimes they reflower,
and sometimes they do not. Hmm. Now I wonder whether there is anything that
I should be doing different for the Paphs than for the Phals. Maybe that's
why they are not as reliable in reflowering for me? I know that for a Phal
to reflower it needs the right amount of light and a night-day temperature
difference of 10-15 degrees Fahrenheit for a week or two. Do similar factors
trigger Paphs into spike as well? If not, which triggers do they need?

Joanna

oups.com...

Old 03-05-2006, 08:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

That and other orchids. Do you bring them and sit them on a coffee
table or in a window to enjoy them or leave them at their blooming
site? Just getting ready should I ever get one ready to bloom ;-)). I
have had two CATTS bloom and those I put into my kitchen sink which has
an East window till they bloomed out. I don't wash many dishes anyway!
Joe T

Old 03-05-2006, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Joe T,

Your post confuses me a bit, since if I understand you correctly you put the
catts in a high light location only when they are in bloom(?). In general, I
would say that a catt should be in high light all year round, with the
possible exception of when it is in bloom and you want to have it on display
then you could move it to a place that is less optimal from the orchid's
point of view but better for you.

I tend to leave the orchids near the window most of the time even when they
are in bloom, and just occasionally take them to put them on a table as
decoration for a brief amount of time (usually just for an evening during
dinner time, although even a few days without light would not be a problem).
If I took them away from the light for the entire time that they are in
bloom that would be a problem for the Phals that are in bloom for several
months -- several months without light would be a really bad idea. Even a
catt, while it is in bloom much shorter than a Phal, it is still in bloom
too long to deprive it of light for the entire duration, and catts require
more light than Phals or Paphs.

Joanna

ups.com...

Old 03-05-2006, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

I probably did not write that well. My CATTS are outside in medium to
high light, (light green leaves), when blooming I bring them in to
lower lighting. I was just wondering if this is a wrong thing to do.
For short periods I hope this is OK for my plants.
Joe T

Old 04-05-2006, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Joe T,
That sounds much better!
Joanna

oups.com...

Old 04-05-2006, 03:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Joanna: My slipper is:
Paph. Laser x Paph. (Clarissa x Red Sky) it blooms a dark reddish
purple flower. Right now there's probably three different new growths
on it, so it's good to hear that something might come out of it after
all. Burr

Old 04-05-2006, 08:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Reka

In article , rambler60
@webtv.net says...
~ Joanna: My slipper is:
~ Paph. Laser x Paph. (Clarissa x Red Sky) it blooms a dark reddish
~purple flower. Right now there's probably three different new growths
~on it, so it's good to hear that something might come out of it after
~all. Burr
~
~
FYI, Paph. Clarissa x Red Sky = Paph. Red Horizon.

Paph. Laser x Red Horizon = Paph. Shin-Yi Laser.

Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html
Old 05-05-2006, 12:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Burr,

Just for fun, I used
http://www.rhs.org.uk/research/regis...chidsearch.asp to find out
the ancestors of your paph and their ancestors ... until I got to the
species makeup.

Based on this, I have found out that your paph is a Maudiae-type hybrid.
These are very common, and considered easy to grow.

The species that make up this hybrid are the following: this hybrid has
mostly paph callosum, some paph lawrencianum, and a smidgeon of paph
barbatum and paph mastersianum. Since paph callosum is probably the largest
percentage of its makeup, I think following it's cultural requirements would
be most useful, and according to orchidspecies.com paph callosum is a "hot
to cool growing, terrestrial or lithophytic orchid," and it "grows with even
water and fertilizer, plus humid, very shady conditions, year round"

paph callosum http://www.orchidspecies.com/paphcallosum.htm

paph lawrenceanum http://www.orchidspecies.com/paphlawrencianum.htm

paph barbatum http://www.orchidspecies.com/paphbarbatum.htm

paph mastersianum http://www.orchidspecies.com/paphmastersianum.htm

You could also look for Paph Maudiae type hybrid culture on the Web to find
out more.

All this aside, I too have a Paph Maudiae type hybrid, actually I have two
(one green and one red). One of them has reflowered for me in Phal-like
growing conditions about a year after initial flowering, but the second one
has not reflowered yet (I've had it for a year and a half -- it is a healthy
plant with several new growths, so I have hope that it will reflower
someday).

Hope this helps,

Joanna

Old 05-05-2006, 01:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Yes it was helpful and interesting and um what college did you say
Joanna's orchids 101 is being held. I'd take THAT class. Burr

Old 05-05-2006, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

LOL :-)
Joanna