Old 03-05-2006, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david taylor

Default Are our wild bees nearly extinct?

We have lots of bumble bees-several species in our garden. We have large
areas untended with a succession of wild flowers which keep the bees busy.
They are very busy on lamium, red campion, dandelion, primrose, bluebell etc
and I would find it very difficult to match natures output with my own
garden blooms.
I suspect clearing of meadow weeds, weeding of ditches and our desire to
keep everything under control is removing their means of existance.
Regards
David T

"Jasbird" wrote in message
Honey, our bees are vanishing

Beloved by Britons, the humble honey bee is hailed as a
reassuring symbol of summer. But disease has almost wiped out
the wild population and threatens domestic swarms. Science
Editor Robin McKie reveals why we should all be worried about
the decline of this remarkable creature

Sunday April 30, 2006
The Observer

contiued ...