Old 03-05-2006, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jasbird

Default Are our wild bees nearly extinct?

Honey, our bees are vanishing

Beloved by Britons, the humble honey bee is hailed as a
reassuring symbol of summer. But disease has almost wiped out
the wild population and threatens domestic swarms. Science
Editor Robin McKie reveals why we should all be worried about
the decline of this remarkable creature

Sunday April 30, 2006
The Observer

contiued ...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,,1764696,00.html

--------------------------------
http://www.ourrights.0catch.com/
--------------------------------
Old 03-05-2006, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david taylor

We have lots of bumble bees-several species in our garden. We have large
areas untended with a succession of wild flowers which keep the bees busy.
They are very busy on lamium, red campion, dandelion, primrose, bluebell etc
and I would find it very difficult to match natures output with my own
garden blooms.
I suspect clearing of meadow weeds, weeding of ditches and our desire to
keep everything under control is removing their means of existance.
Regards
David T

Old 03-05-2006, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

On Wed, 03 May 2006 07:15:13 GMT, Jasbird wrote:

Honey, our bees are vanishing

Beloved by Britons, the humble honey bee is hailed as a
reassuring symbol of summer. But disease has almost wiped out
the wild population and threatens domestic swarms. Science
Editor Robin McKie reveals why we should all be worried about
the decline of this remarkable creature

Sunday April 30, 2006
The Observer

contiued ...

It's the 'wild' honey bees that have gone (i.e. those that have
swarmed from beekeeper's hives and ended up in hollow trees, holes in
walls etc). Bumbles and solitary bees are still plentiful, as are
'domesticated' honey bees (i.e. bees in hives managed by beekeepers).

--
Chris

Old 03-05-2006, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Wed, 03 May 2006 07:15:13 GMT, Jasbird wrote:

Honey, our bees are vanishing

Beloved by Britons, the humble honey bee is hailed as a
reassuring symbol of summer. But disease has almost wiped out
the wild population and threatens domestic swarms. Science
Editor Robin McKie reveals why we should all be worried about
the decline of this remarkable creature

Sunday April 30, 2006
The Observer

contiued ...

It's the 'wild' honey bees that have gone (i.e. those that have
swarmed from beekeeper's hives and ended up in hollow trees, holes in
walls etc). Bumbles and solitary bees are still plentiful, as are
'domesticated' honey bees (i.e. bees in hives managed by beekeepers).

--
Chris

The wild honey bees in our roof seem fine to, several bee keepers have shown
interest in why they seem not to be suffering from the mites but as no one
can reach them it academic! (been there over 100 years now according to
local historians)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk