Old 15-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Pam

Default broadleaf weed killer

J Kolenovsky wrote:

Get a good, organic fertilizer and start fertilizing weekly. You'll
outcompete the weeds and have the stoutest grass on the block. Try this
for one season. Next spring, spread 1/2 inch of compost on your lawn in
February and start organic fertilzer apps in March and see what the
soilfoodweb will bring you.

While I agree with you in principle, I have to disagree in practice. Fertiizing
once a week is excessive and unnecessary. Three times during the growing season
for lawns is more than adequate, specially if using an organic fertilizer, which
by nature is a slow release product. Weekly applications will provide excessive
quantities of plant nutrients which the lawn will not be able to metabolize.
Excessive fertilization - even of an organic product - will cause disruption of
the soil-food web and reduce populations of beneficial soil microorganisms.

Better to fertilize in moderation, water infrequently but deeply and mow high and
often. This practice should result in a strong, healthy lawn with a deep root
system, better able to withstand drought and outcompete weeds.